MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spyder Convertible Top Cover & Other Ideas...

Hi Spyderchat Community,

EDIT:
I have some spare time, a few ideas, access to a sewing equipment and will be starting a few projects for the Spyder.

Top Cover
The “Top Cover” covers the windows and convertible-cloth-top, preventing damage from weather, animals, dirt, and sun.... while keeping the car cool in the summer and blocking ice, snow, and frost in the winter. The advantage of the Top-Cover versus a car-cover is that it is far more convenient due to it's size, and my design which allows install and removal in about 30 seconds.

Tonneau Cover
A few Spyderchat members expressed interest in a Tonnneau cover. I haven't decided what I want to do yet, however I am playing around with a few designs to see if I can come up with something that does not require punching holes in the car.

Recent Pictures:
This is Prototype #2. The final version will be a lot cleaner and nicer, and may have a few changes.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Here's my first thoughts on your idea.

I can get a car cover at Walmart or just about anywhere. Not as good as a custom one, some may want it because of that. I don't believe very many people use car covers these days.

I don't think the Spyder glove will fly. Reminds me of that Enterprise car rental commercial where you can't see the car since it is all wrapped up. I think people with Spyders want it to be seen and not hidden. That's not even mentioning all the problems involved in making it.

That leaves the top cover. I think it is the best idea of the three. These are already made by someone, but I don't remember who. If you make a good one of these, and make it readily avaliable, I would probably buy one.

Others will have different opinions, this is mine.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
maybe a car bra or car panties
I have a center-exit exhaust, so I need to order a pair of crotchless-panties...

Seriously, I have a fitted car cover that I really like--but never use... The Spyder Glove might sound like a good idea at first, but have you ever looked under a car bra--paint gets totally knackered... However... The Top Cover is a great idea, and anyone living in harsh weather without a garage would be foolish not to buy this... Good luck, keep thinking...

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I like the idea of a top cover -- one that covers just the top. I saw one a couple of years ago advertised on eBay and kick myself for not buying it then because I have not seen once since. The manufactuer of that top proported that it could go on, within about 30 seconds , fully secured, and that it protected the top from bird crap and UV rays while also covering and protecting the interior from UV rays and greenhouse effect. Price point would be a consideration. I think the one I saw on eBay was about $60 bucks. Hope that helps. If you do decided to crete such a beast, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
i bought my car cover at Auto zone. its thin & fits like crap but it claims to block 100% UV rays & it was like 60$... if you could make a really nice car cover at a decent price then there might be a market for that....as far as the spyder "glove" --- "go directly to jail do not pass go do not collect 200$

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the beedback, I appreciate it!

Top Cover:
This seems to have enough interest for me to reasonably put it to market. I know I would buy and use this on both of my Spyders, and others locally said they would by it, if made for their car.

I would probably cannibalize an existing car cover for fabric with special features (UV, etc). Would people be interested in-custom colors, embroidery (like the a Spyder logo) at an extra cost? Are there any special features, or ideas people have for the top cover to make it more useful, convenient, or higher quality?

Tailored Car Cover:
Seems like there could be some interest in this. I’ll wait for more feedback on the idea.

Spyder Glove:
Seems like there would not be enough interest to be worth my time. I didn’t think this would fly, but thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Padded Bra???
Alternatively someone mentioned that car bras often fail to protect the paint. I could possibly design a “padded bra” bra for the spyder, which could protect against rock-chips, up to about about 2 inches @ 80mph.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have a top cover I got on eBay several years ago- I think it's made of nylon (is water resistant). I paid $50 for it back when I bought it. They come on ebay from time to time, but not consistently. The upside of the top cover I have is its ease of installation (can be put on in about a minute) and ability to be stored in the Spyder frunk (a full cover when folded might take up more room, and might not fit in the frunk). If the car is parked outdoors, and you take a full cover off, where do you store it? The top cover sounds like the best option for the reasons as above, and price point I would assume should be $50 or less, based on the one I have (unless you're using some exotic material).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Looks like you need to get busy and make some top covers.

Let us know when they're ready.

Be sure to put this warning on them so that you won't get sued by an idiot:

"Do not drive car with cover installed."

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Looks like you need to get busy and make some top covers.

Let us know when they're ready.

Be sure to put this warning on them so that you won't get sued by an idiot:

"Do not drive car with cover installed."
Because you know it'll happen. Actually, it should say 'Remove before flight.'

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Not sure if this is far from your stitching ideas, but I want a tonneau cover. I had one on both my MG and Austin Healey. It snaps over the whole cockpit of the car when the top is down. It keeps trash out of the car and fills with wonderful puddles of water if it gets caught in the rain. It zips down the center so I can drive with one half covered. They would require snaps drilled into the dashboard and around the perimeter of the cockpit. I'll try to find a picture of one.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Padded Bra???
Alternatively someone mentioned that car bras often fail to protect the paint. I could possibly design a “padded bra” bra for the spyder, which could protect against rock-chips, up to about about 2 inches @ 80mph.
Padded bra... huh huh huhuhuh huh... it adds a cup size while it lifts and seperates...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I began work on the first prototype of the "Top Cover," and will keep people updated on my progress. Right now I'm cutting a car-cover into useable strips of cloth and making measurements. I might have something basic (without straps) later tomorrow.

The toneau cover idea sounds interesting, though I'm not sure I'm keen on punching holes in my Spyder. I'll think about this one for a bit, I might be able to come up with a "non-hole-punch design."

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I was going to advanced auto tomorrow to buy a cover and a few other things I needed, but since this is going on I will wait for the cover.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Below are a couple images of the progress so far.

The first prototype I'm skimming through to discover all the problems that will need fixing, and as you can see I've already discovered a few (this cloth stretches weird). I've also started brainstorming a few ideas for how the cover will conveniently mount on the Spyder & store easily as well.

More photos tomorrow as I make more progress!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I could possibly design a “padded bra” bra for the spyder, which could protect against rock-chips, up to about about 2 inches @ 80mph.
If I am reading this correctly I think maybe you under estimate the force of a two pound rock at 80MPH. I think you're going to need about 6 to 8 inches of padding.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I have a top cover I got on eBay several years ago- I think it's made of nylon (is water resistant). I paid $50 for it back when I bought it. They come on ebay from time to time, but not consistently. The upside of the top cover I have is its ease of installation (can be put on in about a minute) and ability to be stored in the Spyder frunk (a full cover when folded might take up more room, and might not fit in the frunk). If the car is parked outdoors, and you take a full cover off, where do you store it? The top cover sounds like the best option for the reasons as above, and price point I would assume should be $50 or less, based on the one I have (unless you're using some exotic material).
Hey Doc . . .

Would you be willing to post a photo or two of your top cover to help gryphonauto get a running start? It's just a suggestion.

I seem to recall the mounting of the top cover I looked at on eBay fit snugly around the top of the car and was secured by tucking fabric inside the car at the doors so that when the doors closed it secured the fabric. I'm not sure if I am remembering this correctly, though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts