MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just signed up to get some specific information, but I figured my first post should be an introduction.

I've had a large number of cars and I enjoy driving more than anything else. My current passion is SCCA RallyCross. For the last 12 years I've raced AWD cars exclusively. Having accomplished what I wanted I've decided to start over in the RWD classes. Currently the Miata is dominant across all of the RWD classes with a particularly extensive build and excellent driver at the top of Modified. Ultimately, my sights are set on going faster than her, but for now I'm starting at the beginning.

Rather than joining the Miata party, I want to dethrone them. So looking at my options, I came across the MR2 Spyder. Its weight and power are comparable to the NA/NB Miata. But most importantly, the engine is over the drive wheels. I think this is key. So I picked up a 2003 MR2 Spyder a couple months ago and have been working on getting it ready. It doesn't seem to have had the best life before I picked it up, but I'm getting it rehabbed for the exciting life ahead of it.

So here's to what will hopefully be a successful campaign getting dirty and dodging cones!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a lot done so far, but still have a ton to do.

First was picking up a hard top so I can pass Tech Inspection. FullSpeedTech was great to work with to secure one from overseas. At the time they didn't have a black top (they do now.. sigh) so I picked blue with plans to paint. I used a peelable paint to change the top and windshield frame to black. I think including the frame to make the whole greenhouse black helps a lot with the car's proportions. And while I got this car to race in the dirt not go to shows, there's no reason not to spruce it up a bit. :)

(The dealership I bought it from rattle-canned the wheels instead of re-furbing them. Fine by me)

I also got most of the engine work done. The valve cover gasket was leaking like a sieve. I got that replaced this weekend and put in new plugs, PCV, and belt while I was in there. I also painted the valve cover just for fun. I figured since I had it off, I might as well.

And since I've been doing so much painting the last two weekends, I thought I would paint the rain shield that's under the hood vents above the engine. I would just remove it, but that's not legal for Stock class. In that case, I figured I'd paint it flat black. Again, just something to spruce up the car for fun. I can't do much in stock class, so I have fun where I can. (Got a spiffy new shift knob too!)

This is definitely a 10ft car. There are small dents all over it. When I took the car home I found that the last oil change sticker from the previous owner was still on the windshield. I picked the car up with 146K miles and the oil change sticker showed the next change at 147K.... in 2015. I think this car was sitting in someone's garage with 5 years of junk piled up on it, then was dug out and dumped on the dealership I bought it from.

Still to do is pretty much the entire suspension, brakes, and underbody protection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts