MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us new to the Spyder are looking for performance upgrades. Lots of wheel, tire, suspension, and horsepower threads.

My first performance update: Phat's BP brace Version 2. This upgraded underbrace has really sharpened the quality of the ride. Less shaking, more smooth and stable.

My factory center underbracing had a bit of a ding (see photo) that may have impacted it for the worst. But for my 2 cents, this may be the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

· Premium Member
881 Posts
Just recently (finally) dinged one of mine (OEM), too. Damn peaked speedbumps. ..actually, I wasn't even the one driving when it happened, and I knew it was coming. Just had that feeling.

Reactions: 7c777r

· Registered
1,136 Posts
The PFL needs lower arm braces first, both front and rear. The FL already has that sorted. The last MY has another upgrade in the form of a front subframe.

Then door spacers either Dev´s or TRD (or replica) or both.
Then front tower brace.
Then belly pan brace.

More is discutable unless the engine is upgraded with a turbo or by a 2ZZ.

· Super Moderator
3,403 Posts
Thanks for the comments.
Also, just for the sake of completeness: Here's a shot with Phat's BP brace installed. I'm sure I'll shred those bolt heads over time (already scuffed my sloped driveway). But the feel is great. View attachment 94746
You can replace those easily with flush hardware. You saw how mine is smooth under there, it was the most important reason why I upgraded from the V1 to the V2

· Premium Member
881 Posts
You can replace those easily with flush hardware. You saw how mine is smooth under there, it was the most important reason why I upgraded from the V1 to the V2
Did you post that up before? I'd like a look.

· Registered
1,136 Posts
For my fellow non-polyglots, discutable is apparently French for debatable, which is unsurprisingly a synonym for disputable (and also not a misspelling of disputable).
and in Spanish discutible ;)

Have three languages open on my screen now :rolleyes: Gets confusing at times to the point of not thinking in language. So appologies for things gettimg lost in (no) translation 😓

And despite defending myself ok enough in 6 languages I stíll manage to find two lady friends who speak a mother tongue I only manage a handfull of words in :eek:

· Premium Member
881 Posts
Snelbaard has a nice one which is lighter base plate with reïnforcing pofiles. Less flush but stiffer so choose your poison.
It is nice. I've got his and Randy's, to boot. ;)

· Super Moderator
3,403 Posts
Wow , so much love .....:love:

Well it looks Iike I should have countersunk the hardware on all of them , didn't know there were so many lowriders . Maybe I'll be able to make an affordable V3 when Joes out of office .......

Like mentioned it's pretty easy to go back and countersink them ....
I think your reputation here would warrant that people could just send the funds using the Friends and Family option. Or go the old school route and send a money order.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts