MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says in a few hours I'm going to be driving a spyder for the first time. I've seen it already but I couldn't go drive it then for some BS reason the dealership had. I'm really excited but I would like to know certain things I should be looking for when I drive this car. Things that would basically make or break that the average mr2 driver might not notice. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting this one since the price is 13k. Its got ridiculous low miles but I still don't have that kind of money to work with

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
Way overpriced. Check out nadaguides.com and kbb.com for pricing. Go to Autotrader.com for more cars for sale in your area.

I believe there's an inspection checklist in the Library you can use.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Way overpriced. Check out nadaguides.com and kbb.com for pricing. Go to Autotrader.com for more cars for sale in your area.

I believe there's an inspection checklist in the Library you can use.
I don't know if I'd say way overpriced, you don't know the details of the car and that is asking price.

just for kicks I looked up my car on NADA. clean trade in was around 10,500, clean retail was 13000.

granted, I would say 13000 is on the high side and probably more than I'd pay. I'd want to get them down from there, but if you're talking 03+ less than 30K on hte clock, it might be a price to work down from to like 10500-11.

·
Registered
782 Posts
One with not low but not high mileage, 03+, never winter driven and good condition original paint is what I would look for. Mods are a big red flag, have a good look at the wheels as a lot of them bubble. Have it checked out mecanically and for past accidents (someone who works at a bodyshop can usually tell pretty quick if it's ever been in an accident, carfax isn't always accurate) Good luck!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea this car is pretty clean. I have the carfax already. only 2 owners each only driving it 1k miles a year. no crashes. Yes the price is a lot higher then id like. I still have a vacation in the coming 2 weeks to deal with and only 2k saved. I do not plan to get into a large loan like that unless im paying atleast half off initially. I dont like the idea of being bound to the car and i dont want to go upside down in it either. Thats also one of my big worries is getting this car and the price drop dramatically soonafter

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
. . . and the price drop dramatically soonafter
all things remaining the same, I don't think you have to worry about a big price drop. I bought my 03 3 years ago (come August 1st) and I paid $14k at Mr. T -- and 3 years later I still have no regrets about the price I paid for my car. My 03 only had 13k miles on it and it was in pretty much pristine shape.

The car is worth what people are willing to pay for it.

I saw na 03 (IIRC) at a Nissan stealership last year, about this time, and they were asking 14,500 for it. I thought it was a little high. We disucssed price and I suggested $12k might be more in line. The sales manager thanked us for stopping by, extended his right hand for a hand shake and bid us a good day. They were not willing to budge on the price. The car had only been on the lot for a week and was a trade-in from a local customer. One week later, the car was gone.

I see lots of posts here about people looking at these little cars and comments about the prices being too high. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It would seem that these cars are holding their value better than most people think.

There's my two cents . . .

Happy shopping.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Suspension

This light weight car while quickly tell you if its suspension isn't perfect. Drive on the highway and make sure she handles like a dream:
  • Read about tram-lining, it's not supposed to be noticeable unless maybe you are braking hard and the road has issues for the left or right tire.
  • Read about bump-steer, it's only supposed to happen on medium bumps while changing lanes at high speed (a Mini-S has way more bump-steer).
  • Can you control the steering wheel with just 2 fingers at 75 mph?
  • When you push medium-hard on the brakes it should play very nice.
  • While on the highway: any extra noise coming through a certain area of the soft-top? No noise should come through the front seal (btw roof and window)

RPM:
- The car is meant to be driven at high RPM for any performance. Go near the red line often and make sure you like what you see.

·
Registered
54 Posts
'03 Spyder with 17K is likely a $12K retail

At this time of year, any soft-top is at a premium, and dealers know that they won't get many MR2's on their lots. Moreover, they see these cars as an asset as much to bring in traffic as to be sold. Sure, the wife takes one look at the frunk and puts the kabash on the deal, but she then says to her drooling hubby, "What about this nice Camry/Focus/Civic?" The rest is sad, sadistic history; but meanwhile MR2 served its purpose.

My point you ask? Dealers are probably the wrong people to deal with if you are looking for a well-priced, low-mileage, unmolested Spyder. At the risk of appearing mercenary, let me know if you are interested in either a red '01 with 75K for $7.5K, or a yellow '03 with 27K for $12K, K?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At this time of year, any soft-top is at a premium, and dealers know that they won't get many MR2's on their lots. Moreover, they see these cars as an asset as much to bring in traffic as to be sold. Sure, the wife takes one look at the frunk and puts the kabash on the deal, but she then says to her drooling hubby, "What about this nice Camry/Focus/Civic?" The rest is sad, sadistic history; but meanwhile MR2 served its purpose.

My point you ask? Dealers are probably the wrong people to deal with if you are looking for a well-priced, low-mileage, unmolested Spyder. At the risk of appearing mercenary, let me know if you are interested in either a red '01 with 75K for $7.5K, or a yellow '03 with 27K for $12K, K?
I will say im interested but thats going to be too far of a drive for me currently. by the end of summer i can probably give you a better idea but not yet.

Its an hour and a half drive to the dealership so i thought id make sure it was ready to be driven. (last time i went it was still in "detailing") he told me he would call me right back...Two hours later no call yet. probably wont be going to see this car then if this is the case

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
best of luck in your search... i was in your shoes not too long ago... the only advise i can give you is to be patient... i saw two other cars which i thought were disasters and had to walk away... don't be afraid to walk away... and if you think it is a good deal, then that is all that matters... sign those papers, get those keys and the car will always put a smile on your face... :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
best of luck in your search... i was in your shoes not too long ago... the only advise i can give you is to be patient... i saw two other cars which i thought were disasters and had to walk away... don't be afraid to walk away... and if you think it is a good deal, then that is all that matters... sign those papers, get those keys and the car will always put a smile on your face... :)
Im happy to see though that almost everyone here believes the car drives like a dream. I just wanna see it and feel it first hand to push me to save even more

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.