MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My name is Ken and I run RetroModern,USA. We specialize in retro-inspired, machined parts for the Miata. Due to the high number of Miata hardtop thefts in the SF Bay Area, we have designed and created a hardtop security system for the Miata market that has been very well received. I've noticed that the Spyder tops use latches that are very similar to ours. I was able to test fit a set of our Acne Talon Hardtop Security System locks to a Spyder earlier this evening and low and behold...it works!!! However the design will need to be tweaked slightly to fit the Spyder strikers.
What I would like to know is if this is something that Spyder hardtop owners would be interested in? If so, I can do a pre-order Group Buy (like we recently did for the Miata community) at a discounted price.

Here is a picture of the lock assembly bolted to Dimas' Spyder:

And here is a short video showing how the locks work:

Yay or nay, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would be really great if you guys also made a full bolt on kit for the Hardtop that replace the latches.

People like myself who install hardtops hardly ever take them off. Those blockers you guys make, still make it easy to steal the Hardtop since it covers very little of the latch.. or maybe make a security system that fully engulfs the entire latch.

Not sure about Miatas, but Spyder have 4 latches too.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nobody is out to steal Spyder Hardtops (knock on wood). Even if they did, they would have a hard time moving them.

The community is so tight knit and the parts are rare. It would not go unnoticed. Track guys bolt down their HT's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nobody is out to steal Spyder Hardtops (knock on wood). Even if they did, they would have a hard time moving them.

The community is so tight knit and the parts are rare. It would not go unnoticed. Track guys bolt down their HT's.
Hmm where is this bolt down for me to get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
sanzoku
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing