MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some used BC BR's from a fellow SC'er.

Is there a way to measure exact height on these before installing them?
Or is it I need to install one of each first, and see how far I want to drop it, and adjust?

I currently have sportivos on.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
You can take a guess and see how the car looks, but it has been my experience that you will being doing a lot of adjusting to get the ride height and stance you are looking for.

If the sportivos are in good shape my son's 2002 may be interested.

·
Registered
236 Posts
measure the space between the collars or count the threads is the only way to make sure they are even before putting them on the car. But you will need to put them on and adjust for the desired height your after.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Take off a corner. Lay the strut you took off next to the BC. Match the ride height you want compared to the strut you removed. The has stiffer spring and won't compress/extend as much as the stock so make the BC 1-2 inches shorter.

Measure the length of the BC before install. Use that length to install BC on the other side.

This will get you close but you will still probably have to adjust ride height on the car.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
my best advice when i had coilovers... trial and error. install them and adjust them as you please afterwards.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Scotch, if you're willing to sell just the front Sportivo springs I will take them from you. Let me know!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just finished the fronts, that was easier than I thought. I left them at the height they came, and they gave me about 3/4" of wheel gap so it looks fine for now. The negative camber is maxed out, but I'll just leave that alone until I get a good alignment done.

There is one problem I forsee. If one was to lower these to the limit of the coilover - it almost looks as if the bottom of coilover would make contact with the lower control arm.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
There is one problem I forsee. If one was to lower these to the limit of the coilover - it almost looks as if the bottom of coilover would make contact with the lower control arm.
That is correct. All the bottom mount adjustable coilovers do that. It will probably hit the top of swaybar endlink first before the control arm.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, finished the install. I didn't touch the height (front and back), as the drop amount is almost perfectly what I desired B)

I will say this: I appreciate the sportivos even more now.

The BC's are nice, and only a little bumpier on full soft - but the handling difference doesn't blow away the sportivos. Also, my steering feels heavier and not as responsive now - maybe b/c my alignment is way off and the camber is maxed.

One difference I like is the lack of body roll and squatting that I had with the sportivos. I have to change my driving style a bit.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
You're right with the alignment, it should take care of the heavier steering feel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, finished the install. I didn't touch the height (front and back), as the drop amount is almost perfectly what I desired B)

I will say this: I appreciate the sportivos even more now.

The BC's are nice, and only a little bumpier on full soft - but the handling difference doesn't blow away the sportivos. Also, my steering feels heavier and not as responsive now - maybe b/c my alignment is way off and the camber is maxed.

One difference I like is the lack of body roll and squatting that I had with the sportivos. I have to change my driving style a bit.

One thing to consider if you are having an alignment done is to corner balance the car. Not necessary, but atleast you know the car will have proper weight at each corner.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the alignment done today - I decided not to get it corner balanced b/c the extra cost isn't worth it on my DD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts