MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spyder has been having very sensitive steering ever since i got it which has been over a year. been driving this way and it has been getting annoying and of course dangerous. i know for a fact that the PS pump has been replaced in this car and im pretty sure its aftermarket. at high speeds, the steering wheel feels wobbling. im not saying i a spirited driver but this is my daily and even at regular speedway speeds, it gets wobbling. and in the rain, that can even be more risky. i have gotten an alignment and that didnt fix it.

so does anyone know how to adjust this thing? i have been thinking to remove some PS fluid from the reservoir but dont know if that will hope or if its good for the unit. it has always been at the correct level.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
The P/S is what it is.. No Changes have been reported available to it..

Also.. I'm not aware of any Aftermarket pumps for it.. Only Toyota..

If you hunt, you can find threads on trying to reduce the steering effort on the P/S Assembly..

The P/S ECU will reduce the Steering Effort at higher speeds.. and give full steering at slower speeds..

Mine does not wobble ( any more ).. it's my DD at 175 Miles per day..

I'm thinking you have something loose or out of balance.. Out of Round Tires?.. I finally had to replace my Front Tires at 100 K Miles ( on these tires ) because they had worn out of round, and I could not fix it with weights.. they were almost gone anyway..

Cap

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
The P/S is what it is.. No Changes have been reported available to it..

Also.. I'm not aware of any Aftermarket pumps for it.. Only Toyota..

If you hunt, you can find threads on trying to reduce the steering effort on the P/S Assembly..

The P/S ECU will reduce the Steering Effort at higher speeds.. and give full steering at slower speeds..

Mine does not wobble ( any more ).. it's my DD at 175 Miles per day..

I'm thinking you have something loose or out of balance.. Out of Round Tires?.. I finally had to replace my Front Tires at 100 K Miles ( on these tires ) because they had worn out of round, and I could not fix it with weights.. they were almost gone anyway..

Cap
I agree with Cap, I don't think the problem is your power steering. Are you running mismatched tires? Are they staggered?

Try deactivating your power steering completely, and see if that works for you. I am not sure if I remember how it was done, since the way I think I remember it seems silly... You need to turn on your car as normal then get it rolling. Then turn it off with the key, they back to the 'on' position, but do not crank the motor. Then drop the clutch to jump start the car. If you do all this, your car will function normally but with no power steering.

Hmm, is that right?

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Yes that works..

Cap

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I adjusted my PS permanently. No where near the effort of disabling the PS pump.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not trying to thread drift but I was curious if the mr2 will feel different when lowered steering wise. I know when I lowered my integra years ago it seemed as if the steering was quicker at the wheel.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I adjusted my PS permanently. No where near the effort of disabling the PS pump.

Secrets!.. You Have Secrets?..

Oh please Share..

Cap

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Secrets!.. You Have Secrets?..

Oh please Share..

Cap
The adjustment was very simple, it entails gently yanking the PS pump and looping the lines.
I thought about adding a breather to make the effort even easier. As it is now it feels exactly like a manual rack.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I bit on that one.

Hook line and Sinker..

I did not realize you were one of 'Them', that yanked out your P/S..

Cap

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I bit on that one.

Hook line and Sinker..

I did not realize you were one of 'Them', that yanked out your P/S..

Cap
Yes Cap and actually I kind of wanted to point out that disabling the PS pump is very different then looping the lines in terms of effort it takes to turn the wheel.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with Cap, I don't think the problem is your power steering. Are you running mismatched tires? Are they staggered?

Try deactivating your power steering completely, and see if that works for you. I am not sure if I remember how it was done, since the way I think I remember it seems silly... You need to turn on your car as normal then get it rolling. Then turn it off with the key, they back to the 'on' position, but do not crank the motor. Then drop the clutch to jump start the car. If you do all this, your car will function normally but with no power steering.

Hmm, is that right?
i doubt it is my wheels. there are not mismatched and i have these exact tires on a different spyder before and steering was perfect. if anything, i just have to check if my front wheels are balanced because i haven't changed the tires for a while, but i doubt that is the source of the problem. push starting the car would allow the car to function without PS? cant i just remove the PS fuse or anything to completely disable it? would that put stress on the steering wheel and be bad for the components? and how messing with the PS ECU? please let me know anything i can do because i have no knowledge on power steering.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes Cap and actually I kind of wanted to point out that disabling the PS pump is very different then looping the lines in terms of effort it takes to turn the wheel.
im wondering if i loop the line, if that would help with my steering efforts. because even at high speeds, PS is still taking over. which line did you loop?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Have you checked the tire pressures? Stock-spec tires for this car need to be at 26 and 32. Over inflated front tires make this car twitchy.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
im wondering if i loop the line, if that would help with my steering efforts. because even at high speeds, PS is still taking over. which line did you loop?
Before I would do that It's best to follow Xbikers recommendation as well as trying to source the problem if there is one so you can rule that out.

Even with PS I did not have a problem with it that made me think something was wrong.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ill try to check my tire pressure and re balance the front wheels. i know my rear wheels are fine since i just replaced the tires. I just know for a fact that the steering is messed up since my first spyders steering was not this sensitive. the sensitive steering has made this spyder feel light and lost of traction.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
i doubt it is my wheels. there are not mismatched and i have these exact tires on a different spyder before and steering was perfect. if anything, i just have to check if my front wheels are balanced because i haven't changed the tires for a while, but i doubt that is the source of the problem. push starting the car would allow the car to function without PS? cant i just remove the PS fuse or anything to completely disable it? would that put stress on the steering wheel and be bad for the components? and how messing with the PS ECU? please let me know anything i can do because i have no knowledge on power steering.
I suggested a temporary way to turn off your power steering so that you could hop in your car, right now, turn off your power steering, then head on to the closest freeway to see if it is the panacea of your problems. Why are you considering permanent deactivation when you do not even yet know the cause? Go take a drive then come back and tell us what you found, and we'll go from there.

I don't know if it causes dangerous levels of stress on the components. There has been some discussion on it with no consensus reached. Some people claim to have been driving around for years, and doing races without power steering on. Either way, I think you will be fine if you take one short drive and don't drift around bends :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i havent gotten the time to do much to it to pinpoint the problem. but after removing some power steering fluid to the "min" mark, it has not changed anything as far as PS effort. so im now leaning towards with it being a PS ECU problem where it is not "turning itself off" when going higher/freeway speeds. before i actually decide that is the problem though, im going to have to rebalance my wheels and check tire pressure. but would anyone know how to "calibrate" or fix the problem with the PS ECU?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i check the outer tie rods on the car and visually saw that they were not severely damaged or worn. i read on another thread that a member had success to get rid of a similar problem as mine and that he replaced outer tie rods. i was able to check tie rod ends on my own and found that they visually dont look damaged or worn. but i could be wrong. i also did the wheel shake test to see if there was play in the whole hub assembly and there was no play. is there anything else i could diagnose to fix this problem. please help asap. driving like this is rather dangerous.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I thought the MK2 PS pump only operated at low speed....the advantage of an electrical PS pump....you don't need PS at speed. Further checking, I may have been wrong.....it sure makes sense though....argh.

Am I wrong, or is this not the way the Spyder operates too?

My PS pump went out on the '93, and it was a little difficult to steer at slow speed, but was fine at road/highway speed. The PS pump then came back after two weeks of looking for a replacement...continued to work for the last year I had her.

These cars are so light, you really don't need PS at any speed....IMHO None of my older European sports cars had it...not needed.

Rick

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought the MK2 PS pump only operated at low speed....the advantage of an electrical PS pump....you don't need PS at speed. Further checking, I may have been wrong.....it sure makes sense though....argh.

Am I wrong, or is this not the way the Spyder operates too?

My PS pump went out on the '93, and it was a little difficult to steer at slow speed, but was fine at road/highway speed. The PS pump then came back after two weeks of looking for a replacement...continued to work for the last year I had her.

These cars are so light, you really don't need PS at any speed....IMHO None of my older European sports cars had it...not needed.

Rick
yes, the problem is my power steering seems too sensitive and rather dangerous. does anyone know how i can turn off power steering? removing all the PS fluid? fuse? removing the fuse would be the simplest but i can even find it. does anyone know where the PS fuse is at?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts