MR2 SpyderChat banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
If it gives you piece of mind (even if just a false one) and you have money to burn then go for it. Here in South Texas they use a flatbed to take the entire car and strip it. If they just want your stereo they will cut the soft top which is extremely expensive. The best thing would be to hide everything worth stealing in your vehicle.
Sounds like you need Viper Smart Start with GPS ^_^. I have it minus the GPS on my Grand Prix and love it. Its only let me down a few times (due to peak time).

What is his push button? The keyhole covers? If so, then yes, I already have them on my car. As for a vid, I work 12 hrs tomorrow but I'll do one on Sunday.
Dev created his own push button start and sold a few.

a convertible is never really locked you know far cheaper to have them open the door and look around rather then cut your roof, open the door and then look around. Thus leaving anything in your car that is easily removed like an iPod is just plain stupid!
Was wondering when someone was going to point this out....had a really great cap (yacht club fishing hat...made for open cockpit offshore fishing boats and will stay on driving at 80) taken from my car already. I normally do not leave anything of value, but I didn't think about that hat being valuable, until they stole it.

Locking a convertible is about as silly as putting a cabin air filter in one, imho.

Rick

PS: The upside is it makes it fashionable to put in a cheap stereo....;)

Im interested in purchasing this system. Have you successfully installed it on your MR2?? I'm curious to know if there were issues with FOB and immobilizer?

Had I known Dorko . . .

Had you called me, we could have made arrangements and I would have lurked around you house under cover of darkness waiting for you to forget to lock your car. I then would have ripped off anything that wasn't factory installed, and perhaps a few items that were (I'm looking for a carbon dash kit), and I gurantee you would never forget to lock your car again. Of course, this strategy wouldn't help with that nagging issue of 20th century keys, locks and manual starters (damn them to hell), but what a bargain otherwise!

You know, I had my 6.5" Double Din headunit over about 5 years along with a Kenwood Woox behind the driver seat and I have never had anyone tried (not that I know of, of course :lol:) to break in. Mind you, I didn't even have a keyless entry system nor any kind of alarm/anti-theft system besides the factory blinking red light. I think the blinking red light is a deterent indicating that it has an immbolizer chip or something.

Anyhow, the point is that: our cars are not really being singled out and that it doesn't happen that often. And if you are going to say that it's because I don't drive my car around enough. My answer is that I averaged 30K miles a year for 3 years and parking my car in such place as college parking structure, the mall, on the street at my gf's house and etc....

I actually thought about the Advanced Keys system awhile back. But I decided not to because the cost vs actual benefit really didn't add up.

With the Advnace Key installed.. does it means it will work with the push button option avaiable from the same vendor and be able to start the car without a key inserted ? There is the other turn knob option that requires snapping off the original key from the plastic ring and glue it on to the turn knob. Why people will pick that option if the push button key feature works ?
Thanks.

I've been thinking about doing this mod.

My understanding is that the dummy key must be in place for the system to work.

Bruce in Savannah

With the Advnace Key installed.. does it means it will work with the push button option avaiable from the same vendor and be able to start the car without a key inserted ? There is the other turn knob option that requires snapping off the original key from the plastic ring and glue it on to the turn knob. Why people will pick that option if the push button key feature works ?
Thanks.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
first off, sorry I haven't gotten the video guys, I've been real busy and now I have a rod knock, it appears I didn't catch the pre-cats in time.
Thanks.
If you get the push button, you no longer have a key, so that should answer the first question. Why would people pick that over the button, about 140$ cheaper. That's why I got the knob.
UPDATE- Everything is still working perfectly, this thing rules, at night it has a really bright flash to, it almost lights up the street around it.

This last month there have been 90 cases of people stealing things out of other peoples cars, as I've said earlier, these have all been either unlocked cars or older cars, I got this because I am far too forgetful to lock the doors of the car. They have not broken anyone's vehicle, or damaged it any way, just rummaging through the stuff, taking things of value, I believe this is the 2nd month of them doing this. Before this, it was unheard of. Up in CDA, people used to leave their houses unlocked, windows open, now its all getting buttoned down.

Because this does have an alarm, and I know my car is always locked, and that they have yet to damage anyones cars, I am very happy with it. If they start breaking windows, tearing tops (a lot of jeeps up in North Idaho) then I will start looking for something else.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.