MR2 SpyderChat banner

Advanced Keys

3K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  El Dorko 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Today I am having the Advanced Keys system installed into my Spyder, I purchased the knob start, didn't feel like the button was worth the extra money.

This system should allow me to, as I walk up to the car, it will automatically unlock and allow the car the start with the knob start, as I walk away, it will automatically lock my car. If anyone tries to start the car without my key fob (it comes with 2) the car will disconnect and not allow it to start. If my battery in my key fob dies I can wave a secondary, transponder card (gives 2 of those as well) over a secondary antenna and it will give me 10 seconds to open the car and start it.

I'm pretty excited about getting to keyless. I'll make sure to update if I encounter any problems with it.

#6 ·
Was it really that difficult to start your car with your key or to remember to lock your car before walking away from it? This seems like spending money for the sake of spending money.

Not sure about where you are but most vehicles that have integrated chips in the keys are stolen using flatbed trucks as it is easier and looks more legitimate that way.

#8 ·
A good number of us here bought an alarm that had a very similar function in regard to locking and unlocking the door which I thought was a cool feature.

The problem was the alarm consumes too much battery power on standby so I disconnected it.

What I would like to know is how the hell you can start the car without using the key in the ignition.
The steering wheel has a lock on it that must be disengaged anyway.

#11 ·
What I would like to know is how the hell you can start the car without using the key in the ignition.
The steering wheel has a lock on it that must be disengaged anyway.
I believe the remote start system one comes with the button push to start system, the system I am getting puts a knob over my key so my key is always in the car.

I am not too worried about someone stealing my car, but we have been having a lot of people going through others cars lately, I am guessing all of the people are finally moving up here. Up in North Idaho we haven't had any gangs until a few years ago, people used to leave the cars and houses unlocked and not have to worry, so far it seems they have left my car alone tho.

#13 ·
I leave my car unlocked now for the most part as long as my valuables are in the frunk and the glove compartment is locked however having the equivalent of a key in the ignition is not particularly a good thing as aftermarket alarm system can and have malfunction. Your steering wheel lock is the most important thing in regard to theft protection and vandalism, I would not compromise on that.

#10 ·
Most remote start systems do not work well with manual cars. I have a viper in my suburban and when the batteries in the remote are fresh it is pretty cool to warm the car up on a February morning from inside the kitchen. With an MT car the car must alway be left in neutral (at least with a viper ) and thus you need to E-brake. We all know in winter this is an interesting problem for those who drive in ice and snow.

I like keys they work they are not hard to keep track of and they work.

for 350 you would be better served by a cruise control I think.
The one that I bought also came with a magnetic sensor system to detect if the car is in gear and that would prevent a remote start. I did not need remote start so I never bothered with this feature.

The locking and unlocking the door automatically was a pretty cool feature when I had it especially if you are carrying packages.

#14 ·
http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104S.html

That is the one I bought, scroll down a bit and you will see the knob.

I am very forgetful, add that onto the fact that we all used to leave our cars unlocked I forget to lock it over 75% of the time. It seems that the people lately have just been going through unlocked cars. As I said earlier I am not worried about someone stealing the car as much as them stealing my amp/sub deck/ipod and whatnot, as it is right now they aren't damaging any cars, but if starts getting to that point I will need to buy a hard top because I have to park street side outside my house.

#16 ·
I hate to break it to you but If I was a car thief I could easily disable your car and then unlock the steering and roll the car down the street to gut your car of all your equipment.

The bottom line here is that a car stereo thief will know how to take everything you have anyway so I don't see how this is going to help you.

If you want a better deterrent to theft then hide your amps and equipment from view.

If you have the habit of not locking your doors this device is not going to help you either. The only reason I had it was to show off to friends.

#44 ·
a convertible is never really locked you know far cheaper to have them open the door and look around rather then cut your roof, open the door and then look around. Thus leaving anything in your car that is easily removed like an iPod is just plain stupid!
Was wondering when someone was going to point this out....had a really great cap (yacht club fishing hat...made for open cockpit offshore fishing boats and will stay on driving at 80) taken from my car already. I normally do not leave anything of value, but I didn't think about that hat being valuable, until they stole it.

Locking a convertible is about as silly as putting a cabin air filter in one, imho.

Rick

PS: The upside is it makes it fashionable to put in a cheap stereo....;)

#19 ·
Also, not to be a Debbie Downer, but the hardtop isn't a huge help, considering we have frameless windows...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

#20 ·
If it gives you piece of mind (even if just a false one) and you have money to burn then go for it. Here in South Texas they use a flatbed to take the entire car and strip it. If they just want your stereo they will cut the soft top which is extremely expensive. The best thing would be to hide everything worth stealing in your vehicle.

#26 ·
But now I am also able to have the key hole covers! Win Win.

It was a little bit more than a regular keyless entry with 2 fobs, as in like 40$ more, so why not? That just means I wont eat out a few days.

There is another good reason, in the summer I pretty much only wear board shorts, its bad enough carrying keys and a phone, this one fits in my wallet.

#27 ·
Have we become so lazy that we need all this crap on our cars?

My Spyder has a really neat feature, it's called a remote. I can walk up to the car, push a button, and it will unlock both doors! How cool is that? God forbid that I should have to stick the key in the key hole and waste all that energy turning it.

Then I climb in and stick the key in the ignition and tun it, the engine springs to life. WOW! I don't even need a crank!

I then drive one block down to the Walmart on the corner of my street, because I'm too fat and lazy to walk there! Buy something made in China, and drive back home.

My grandparents would be ashamed of me.

Have I said enough?

#28 ·
That's really cool yours had the remote lock and unlock, mine did not. For me to get that and an alarm it was only 40$ less than what I paid.

It was installed and is working flawlessly. I never have to worry about losing my keys again either, or locking them in my car, the key fob is smaller surface area than a credit card but is thicker, it fits perfectly in my wallet. I didn't think to look and notice that the curve of the car where you put the key in wouldn't work with the knob ring, so I need to work on how to get that on.

#30 ·

There are 3 buttons on the fob, top is lock, below and to the left is unlock, below and to the right of unlock is the power button. If you get the button start it comes with the remote start, to start remotely, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds. To remotely release the trunk, press and hold the unlock button for 3 seconds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.