MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
these are the pouches that gather the water from the soft top and lead it to the drains that exit behind the side intake covers.

i have read the BGB [BO66-BO81] several times about this and still have questions.

is it necessary to remove the tarpaulin cover side retainers?

there is a female snap connector on the side gate seal, what does this snap to?

there is an addition drain with a hose connected to it. it doesn't have a grate over the orifice like the drain for the well documented cleaning procedure. where does this hose go?

the grated drain orifice has a PVC elbow and then a connector. does the old one just pull out or is there a removal procedure ?

there is a hook mentioned on BO 71 in the BGB. there is no hook on my new SGS and there is no hook on the parts page for the soft top that i had the Toyota dealership print off for me. ???

thanx in advance

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I think you’re probably the first to replace these with factory parts. I made one up out of some scraps of vinyl and installed on my daughters spyder about 5 years ago. It is possible to simply unbolt the aft end of the entire ragtop for access- which is what I did when I made a trap door to access spark plugs on my 2GR swap. Let us know how it goes!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I have stripped the car down and have received the new side gate seals for the Toyota dealer. I was not expecting to essentially remove the convertible top just to replace the seals. I am being overly cautious as I do not want to put the glass window in a bind and break it. Last year I purposely had the top replaced by professionals, I sure wished they would have told me the seals were brittle and leaked. This is much more complicated than a MGB top re-installation :(

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Haha. The spyder ragtop works much better than the MGB ragtop! :)
I suffered through MGB, Bugeye Sprite, Healey 3000 ragtops. What a nightmare.

The spyder top is fantastic! You can raise it at 70 mph, and lower it up to 40 mph, and open it with one hand. Glass window with defroster. Nothing not to love!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
cyclehead
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing