MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a set of cross/drilled rotors and was thinking of painting to not have rust.

What is the proper way to paint?

Thanks

·
Registered
23,102 Posts
Just paint them with Rustoleum and don't worry if you get a little on the rotors as you don't need to be perfect. When you use the brakes it will make it perfect.

·
Registered
371 Posts
+1 for masking. Otherwise you run the chance of loading up your brake pads with paint, thus contaminating them. Not sure if this will cause problems, but what the hey, they only stop the car.

·
Registered
23,102 Posts
+1 for masking. Otherwise you run the chance of loading up your brake pads with paint, thus contaminating them. Not sure if this will cause problems, but what the hey, they only stop the car.
I agree however to clarify I meant if you by chance go a little over the line it's not a big deal.
I never meant that you should paint it indiscriminately.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They shouldn't I had mine for years now and they still look new.Unless its has a Made in China logo on them.Then you should paint them

·
Banned
415 Posts
The tip of the rotors don't touch the pad either. So, unless you paint there as well, you'll have a ring of rust around the rotors.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd use high heat exhaust manifold paint, stands up to the heat better.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Cheap clear coat works great. Take a wire wheel to it first.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm thinkin' LubroMoly. Prevents rust AND that annoying brake squeal.
I've tried this on all 4 of the ex's rotors. dunno the results yet... :eusa_whistle:

DISCLAIMER; this is a joke OK? do NOT try this at home. Sheesh.
Unless you're the ex.

·
Registered
762 Posts
After I painted my calipers red, I wanted the hubs to look good also. So I used a small brush, used black paint and was careful. This was about 5 years ago and they still look great - No Rust. Also, when I painted the calipers, I also painted the outer edge of the rotors and down into the venting. It's not real noticeable unless you really look, but I like it - I had plenty of paint so the extra 5 minutes or so wasn't a big deal. If you want it to look really good, put a high gloss clear coat on all your work - it will look factory.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Does someone have pics of the finished rotors after painting?

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I'd use high heat exhaust manifold paint, stands up to the heat better.
I agree, or a brake caliper paint. Your rotors can get over 200* easy with spirited driving.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! thanks for all the advice!

Waiting for my first birthday present to myself to come in today! I am one more year wiser

1 - 18 of 18 Posts