MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made my very own rear diffuser. It mounts onto the control arm mounting bolts and the rear bumper. It costed me about $35 for the metal sheet, hardwares and took me about 4 hours from start to finish. Overall I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Initially I did it just for cosmetic reasons, but after driving 80+ mph I'm beginning to believe it does add stability in the rear. All I use was a metal sheet cutter,drill, and a ruler of course. I'm thinking about painting it black to go along with the rear bumper.

I got some more tricks up the sleeves that I'm working on ^_^

·
Registered
643 Posts
that... actually looks very very good. maybe if you paint it black to blend in, it will look better.

your diffuser has potential to sell here if you so decide to mass produce it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Why did I suddenly get pictures in my head of cats going through a Slice-o-matic?

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Why did I suddenly get pictures in my head of cats going through a Slice-o-matic?
Oh man I wasn't even thinking of the sort until you. :lol:

Anyone know what type of shop/manufacturer does bends into sheet metal? Instead of those 90 deg brackets just have a bend and either bolt or weld onto the main piece. I want to make one, just don't know where to get the material - ie. sheet metal that size and bender.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Anyone know what type of shop/manufacturer does bends into sheet metal? Instead of those 90 deg brackets just have a bend and either bolt or weld onto the main piece. I want to make one, just don't know where to get the material - ie. sheet metal that size and bender.
They're called machine shops. We have one almost every mile here...

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
It looks good. I agree that it should be painted. I doubt it's giving you any aero benefit unless you have the bottom of the engine compartment sealed off with a panel under it. Do you? if not, then the air under the car is expanding into the engine bay, probably, making the diffuser redundant and unable t achieve its purpose.

Ideas
The brackets are ugly and create turbulence. I was thinking of taking a lesson from my childhood on this point. Does anyone here remember those foam planes you could construct then throw around? Do you remember how the wings were slotted half way through, and the body was slotted half way through? You simply slid the two pieces together, merging them. I think the same should be done here. Then, on the upper side of the diffuser (the side where there is no air flow), drill a hole into the 'fin' and insert a pin. Then use a glue to seal the upper and under sides of the fin where it meets the diffuser.

User large washers for each of the four bolts securing the diffuser to your bumper, if you are not already doing so. If the diffuser is working, then that means it's getting pulled down to the road. You don't want it coming lose from the bumper...

·
Registered
643 Posts
if you weld them, then that would look even BETTER for smoother air flow exit. the use of brackets would then be unnecessary.

·
Registered
501 Posts
maybe a small write-up on how you made it, might try this myself as yours looks so good

·
Registered
217 Posts
just have a look for pictures of the laile beatrush underpanel or the c-one itme for ideas on where you could mount it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts