MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if touchup paint's available in rattle cans? I need red for my '03 - 3PO, I think...
Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip! Went there, ordered ((a little over $27, counting shipping). I'll post how it works out.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
May be a little late with this response, but you could check in your community for an automotive paint store and ask them to scan the paint on your car (gas door or some other removable painted part) and that way you can get a near perfect match that compensates for sun fade, and then have them put that in a rattle can for you for about the same price. Info for future reference. Sorry I couldn't get this info to you sooner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mjush, Silver - impetuous guy that I am, I ordered immediately (the semi-scandalous price hardly slowed me down) - but I'm thinkin' it might work out. My car's been a garage queen most of its life, so the sun fading's not too, too bad; and what I need, is just enough of the red misted over a botched attempt with a brush and some slightly overeager color sanding to make the whole mistake a lot more vague. If this stuff isn't quite the trick, I'll follow up with your suggestions. I really do appreciate your help.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have been buying paint from automotive touchup for all our cars for so many years. Never had any problems. I bought my spray paint from them 3 months ago to paint my side view mirrors on my spyder. Can't tell the difference and it hasn't faded or anything. So you should be okay.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been curious about the best way to touch up my peppered hood and bumper. mine is black so they stand out pretty bad.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I tried the "paint pen" this weekend. The instructions insist that the pens are ONLY for defects smaller than a pencil eraser. Yet they require you to sand the area with 600 grit, then prime, then paint. Not exactly sure how you sand something smaller than a pencil eraser. I didn't sand anything.

The tip of the "paint pen" is more like a chisel tipped match stick. It is not a brush. When you push down on the tip to dispense more paint, it comes oozing out of the pen barrel and around the sides of the tip. It may or may not flow down to the tip of the chiseled stick. I ended up dabbing it around on a piece of paper before working on the car.

The paint color was a perfect match. The paint flows a little after you dab it on the car, and it dries quickly.

Overall, the paint pen gives you a neat way to dispense a few drops of paint - and store the tiny amount of paint you get in the pen. Beyond that I would have done better with a little glass bottle of Testor's model airplane paint and a brush - but they don't have the right colors. Dabbing paint into nicks with the hard chisel tip worked only as well as using a toothpick dipped in paint.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I tried the "paint pen" this weekend. The instructions insist that the pens are ONLY for defects smaller than a pencil eraser. Yet they require you to sand the area with 600 grit, then prime, then paint. Not exactly sure how you sand something smaller than a pencil eraser. I didn't sand anything.

The tip of the "paint pen" is more like a chisel tipped match stick. It is not a brush. When you push down on the tip to dispense more paint, it comes oozing out of the pen barrel and around the sides of the tip. It may or may not flow down to the tip of the chiseled stick. I ended up dabbing it around on a piece of paper before working on the car.

The paint color was a perfect match. The paint flows a little after you dab it on the car, and it dries quickly.

Overall, the paint pen gives you a neat way to dispense a few drops of paint - and store the tiny amount of paint you get in the pen. Beyond that I would have done better with a little glass bottle of Testor's model airplane paint and a brush - but they don't have the right colors. Dabbing paint into nicks with the hard chisel tip worked only as well as using a toothpick dipped in paint.
Thanks for the update! I'll have to get some, then.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Just an FYI, Paint scratch is overpriced crap. It's lacquer based and it's about the same quality as Duplicolor. If you are going to get touch up paint I would highly recommend the dealer as they have that special DuPont single stage paint your car was painted with. If you have to do a bigger area then you will want chroma based paint and you can find some of the on line retailers that sell it in aerosol forum.
Stay away from Paint Scratch.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Just an FYI, Paint scratch is overpriced crap. It's lacquer based and it's about the same quality as Duplicolor. If you are going to get touch up paint I would highly recommend the dealer as they have that special DuPont single stage paint your car was painted with. If you have to do a bigger area then you will want chroma based paint and you can find some of the on line retailers that sell it in aerosol forum.
Stay away from Paint Scratch.
I was just about to ask if anyone had experience with touch paint directly from the dealer...the dealer by my house is TERRIBLE...so up to date, so big, even have a movie theater inside....yet the service is terrible and I get hung up on everytime I tried to order a paint pen. Dev's post has swayed me back to the dealer, I'll post results when I don't get hung up on and actually order it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The only related advise I can spew is: if you have the no name touch up rattle cans from the auto store, it will have very high viscosity (it spreads out like oil) so it is worthless to apply with a Q-tip or brush. It did work well to spray on a whole corner of my 202 colored bumper. But the clear coat rattle can was inferior to factory clear coat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts