MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of an aftermarket dipstick that you can actually read??!!! The factory units are terrible!!!! 2002 MR2 spyder.

·
Registered
639 Posts
the spyder one is a pain in the arse, but i have it down to a science.

-make sure your engine is cold. let it sit overnight, even better. a hot engine has oil in it and will show a low reading
-pull out dipstick, wipe it clean
-reinsert, being careful not to let the handle twist
-once seated, rotate exactly 365 degrees
-quickly remove, and hold level as possible

do this twice for a surefire reading

sometimes, it will do something weird like show full on one side and 1/2 on the other side. if that happens repeat the process. if you get it consistently, (you shouldnt) take the fuller side to be true

F is full, L is 1 quart low. the little notch about 3/4 down is 'low' and means add oil

hope this helps

·
Registered
7,058 Posts

-make sure your engine is cold. let it sit overnight, even better. a hot engine has oil in it and will show a low reading

sometimes, it will do something weird like show full on one side and 1/2 on the other side. if that happens repeat the process. if you get it consistently, (you shouldnt) take the fuller side to be true

F is full, L is 1 quart low. the little notch about 3/4 down is 'low' and means add oil

hope this helps
Oil expands. It should be checked on a warm motor. The manual says to run the car for 5 minutes before reading the dip stick. I feel your pain, OP. The amber colored oil is very hard to see on the dip stick.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Oil expands. It should be checked on a warm motor. The manual says to run the car for 5 minutes before reading the dip stick. I feel your pain, OP. The amber colored oil is very hard to see on the dip stick.
How much does one quart become when it gets warm?

How long does the manual say to let it sit before checking the oil?

A fellow Spyder owner and I conducted some experiments a while back. My dipstick showed a different oil level when placed in his car. He bought a new dipstick, it showed the same oild level as his old stick did. These cars are a little strange when it comes to the oil level.

The only true reading you will get is when the car has sat overnight.

I believe that it was OldMan that said it the best, he said that all the dipstick will tell you is:

"Yes, there is some oil in there."

or

"No, there isn't any oil in there."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Info!!

hope this helps
Thanks for the info!! I have only been on Spyderchat for a few day now but all the posts are great and very informative!! I also have a pro street 70 Barracuda and other forums I have been on do not hold a candle to this one!!! You Guys are great!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
whew... this thread made me feel a whole lot better. I felt like I was borderline retarded because after initially checking the oil when the engine had sat overnight it reads full. Upon second and third pull, it'd show half full but still "wet" up to full.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts