MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey sorry if this has been asked a million times but all links on the subject seem to be old so I was just wondering if anyone knew wheres best to get an aftermarket exhaust manifold for my 2005 1zz roadster, I've hear theres issues with finding the right gasket for sealing and stuff so just wanna make sure I get the right one before wasting my money, if anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
This has been asked a million times and there are many options. It somewhat depends on a need to keep the stock heat shields and main cat. It also depends on what you consider to be "best".

If you want to use the stock heat shields and main cat, about the only option is one of the eBay clones. The quality varies all the time as there are many suppliers, so it is a bit of gamble what you might get from any supplier. One suggestion is look for one that uses the OEM style donuts at the lower flange. Not everyone would agree, but once you find the features you want, buy the cheapest one. The resellers tend to get their manifolds for the same manufactures out of China, so the quality of most are similar even if the prices aren't. This is the cheapest solution.

If you don't care about the heat shields, but want to stay with the OEM cat, the best option is probably Zero Exhaust. High quality and they work very well. Another option is PPE but you need to use their cat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your help, I've seen a few articles about this but they're all old and none of the links work, do you have any idea where I can get an oem gasket?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Thank you so much for your help, I've seen a few articles about this but they're all old and none of the links work, do you have any idea where I can get an oem gasket?
You can get OEM gaskets from dealerships. The Zeroexhaust header fits like OEM, is expensive but can be ordered without the heat shield and has been on my spyder for several years now without issue. IMHO money well spent. The Chinese versions can work or have problems, possible bit of a gamble, good ones are good, bad ones.....well. The 2005 has the best version of the lower block to header mount so you are good there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have to get different 02 sensors with the zero exhaust one? I've just changed my o2 sensors and would hate to have to get more cos they're not long enough

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does this look right? Apparently if it's not oem then it will blow so just wanna be 100% certain before buying
Screenshot_20200229-143125_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There are many good after market gaskets out there.

If torqued correctly, bolt pattern and applied force, then it should work fine.

Most issues occur because the mating flange is not flat or the mating surface was not torqued correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that makes sense, I always make sure to take great care! Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
957 Posts
And if you buy a header that does not support the OEM heat shields, don't wrap them! Instead figure out a way of heat shielding the plastic and wiring that you don't want melted by the heat radiation

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And if you buy a header that does not support the OEM heat shields, don't wrap them! Instead figure out a way of heat shielding the plastic and wiring that you don't want melted by the heat radiation

Dave
Legend, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So on my journey of buying the header I have come into the problem that some say to wrap it and some say absolutely dont, people say you need to fix it with the brackets at the bottom and then others saying that because it is stainless steel if you fix it in then it will also crack it... what are everyone's opinions? I've got one on the way to me without any brackets on it, I'm just gonna weld the brackets on for the heat shield so I can reuse that but how do people feel about fixing it to the support at the bottom to stop it from breaking the flex pipe, apparently it will crack the steel if it is fixed in place. Any help is more than appreciated

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The answers somewhat depend on the header used.

Some headers like the PPE and Zero Exhaust don't have mounts for the lower braces, so you can't use the braces

If you don't use the lower brackets with the eBay "clone" headers (clones of the TRD), the header will very likely crack from load and vibration. It was a very common failure. The best solution is to use the cast 2003+ brackets as they are much stiffer and stronger and mount to the block with 2 bolts each.

As for wrapping headers, there are many opinions, but almost no header manufacturer will warranty any header that was wrapped. That should be a "clue". The relatively thin wall eBay type headers probably won't last long wrapped as they can overheat. I agree with dblotii, I would never wrap a header.

I have run a cheap (really cheap) eBay clone type header for 12 years with no issues. It isn't wrapped and uses the lower cast brackets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow that's incredible! I thought that said months? that's exactly what I was thinking though, I'll probably spray the heat shield and make it look a little nicer and then weld on brackets for it and for the lower brace! The guy I bought it off claimed to be an "mr2 expert" and said it would be stupid to fix it to the lower brace, so that just confused me endlessly? cheers for your help again mate

·
Registered
957 Posts
The idea of not bracing a SS header is nonsense, though it is possible to over-brace in away that might lead to high thermal stress. You have to brace the manifold from being able to vibrate in the fore-aft plane because at some engine speeds you will excite the natural frequency (or modes) of the primary tubes in bending, There is a reason why the factory manifold is braced to the block.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts