MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dealing with several broken stock cats, and knowing of the precat issue on my era Spyder, I finally decided to go with an aftermarket solution.

I ended up buying an obx header and catless down pipe, and a manzo stainless muffler. In my case the muffler was optional, but inexpensive so I decided to give it a go anyways.

I didn't time it but I'd guesstimate 2-3 hours start to finish, factoring in things not going well because it's an exhaust, and it won't.

Tips:
Remove the back bumper, you might be able to do it without that but I think it would longer and much harder. I have the added benefit of a 10 year old son that pulled it for me while doing there things :)
Spray everything multiple times with wd40 in advance.
Spray the muffler hangers with wd40 to get the hangers to slip out otherwise it's a pain.

Problems:
One exhaust hanger on the manzo exhaust is not even close to useful, the others are just fine, presently one is as high as the hanger on the car, and the hit each other and rattle. I'll probably just cut it off tbh.
I'd replace the stock studs in the head with longer ones, the obx flange is DRAMATICALLY thicker.
Fitment wasn't perfect but it was close, but one supplied bolt with the manzo unit just was not long enough to get it started so I swapped a random bolt and nut on and went on.
Most probably already know, but the o2 sensor wires will no longer reach as the stock mounting point is right off the head, and the obx unit places them on the down pipe.

Final thoughts:
It wasn't too hard, or time consuming. It's sounds good, not raspy and I don't think it droned but I'll update that Monday when I drive on the highway. I think it sounded a little farty but not bad. It's not overly loud at all. It's probably 20-40 lbs lighter than the stock stuff. My butt Dyno detects no difference, but I'll update that after I drive it a while as well. I'm also going to try and attach a sound clip that sounds pretty accurate to real life and a better one later (I forgot to roll the windows up so wind noise). I also look forward to not fixing it for at least a year or two now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess it won't let me attach my sound file, unless someone knows a way or can tell me what I'm doing wrong. It'll let me start to attach it but then crosses it out like it's denied and won't attach.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade the stock exhaust on my '01 Spyder but I don't want it to sound raspy, I'm looking for something that's deep sounding without that obnoxious raspy noise.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Couple things, you can buy extensions on eBay for the O2 sensor. Second thing is, rather than connecting a sound, do it in YouTube, then share that file.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Turbo Kart
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing