MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster so if I’m doing something wrong pls lmk.
I’ve been looking for roll bars since I’d just like the extra feeling of security but want something decent that actually works.
Came across this
TOYOTA MR2 SPYDER AGI 4 PT BOLT IN ROLL BAR — AGI Precision
I can’t find any reviews or any installation videos and just wondering if anyone has any information on it at all. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
272 Posts
First time poster so if I’m doing something wrong pls lmk.
I’ve been looking for roll bars since I’d just like the extra feeling of security but want something decent that actually works.
Came across this
TOYOTA MR2 SPYDER AGI 4 PT BOLT IN ROLL BAR — AGI Precision
I can’t find any reviews or any installation videos and just wondering if anyone has any information on it at all. Thank you in advance!
You will need to check the rules for any events you might want to run. I think the rear bars might be problematic for some organizations. That being said, for a straight street bar, it looks ok and will be easier to install than the hard dog. The hard dog bar is supposed to be legal for Scca and nasa but I’d double check myself. Were it me, I’d do the hard dog bar. It is slightly cheaper and I think more robust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need to check the rules for any events you might want to run. I think the rear bars might be problematic for some organizations. That being said, for a straight street bar, it looks ok and will be easier to install than the hard dog. The hard dog bar is supposed to be legal for Scca and nasa but I’d double check myself. Were it me, I’d do the hard dog bar. It is slightly cheaper and I think more robust.
Thanks for the response. Not really gonna track it, and least not that I know of yet and yeah I was looking at prices and well if I’m gonna spend that much might as well get the hard dog!

·
Registered
272 Posts
You do need to factor installation. The hard dog is reportedly 8-12 hours to install. If you are paying shop rates that adds up. If you are doing it your self you save money but the installation does not look particularly fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You do need to factor installation. The hard dog is reportedly 8-12 hours to install. If you are paying shop rates that adds up. If you are doing it your self you save money but the installation does not look particularly fun.
thank you for the reply! And definitely one of the reasons I was looking into alternatives to the hard dog but from what I’ve seen on these forums most people say it’s worth it. definitely gonna have to think this through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the AGI bar, basic installation was around 4 hours for two people, including putting the car on stands and removing the seats. It took a further 2 hours to cut and replace the plastic trim pieces.

It is a nicely made item that (for me) made the car feel stiffer. Hopefully I never find out if it works for it’s intended purpose.

Nick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the AGI bar, basic installation was around 4 hours for two people, including putting the car on stands and removing the seats. It took a further 2 hours to cut and replace the plastic trim pieces.

It is a nicely made item that (for me) made the car feel stiffer. Hopefully I never find out if it works for it’s intended purpose.

Nick
Thanks so much for the response! So you actually have one of these! How’s the room behind the seats? And do you have any photos of where it bolts up as long as how many trim pieces do you have cut or get rid of? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You do lose a bit of rearward seat travel and most of the storage space.

In addition to removing the storage doors, five trim pieces need removing or modifying - the two vertical sections just inside of the doors, the two storage bins and the piece that runs above and in front of the bins.

The drill and bolt locations are in the floor, right in the far corners behind the seats and either side of the centre tunnel section in the firewall at the base of the bin area- getting a spanner on the nut on the engine side of this panel was a challenge but achievable.

I am not sure I can post a photo yet but if you message me your email I can send some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You do lose a bit of rearward seat travel and most of the storage space.

In addition to removing the storage doors, five trim pieces need removing or modifying - the two vertical sections just inside of the doors, the two storage bins and the piece that runs above and in front of the bins.

The drill and bolt locations are in the floor, right in the far corners behind the seats and either side of the centre tunnel section in the firewall at the base of the bin area- getting a spanner on the nut on the engine side of this panel was a challenge but achievable.

I am not sure I can post a photo yet but if you message me your email I can send some.
This has been great information and thanks so much for the complete response! My emails [email protected]
This is definitely helpful in weighing out my options

1 - 10 of 10 Posts