MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know on some cars, the Air Conditioner Compressor is set up so that even in cold weather the compressor cycles every once in a while - mostly to keep oil in the unit cycled. Is this the case on the later Spyder as well? I've noticed that my compressor runs once about every two minutes or so when the fan switch on the dash is on - even when the AC button isn't engaged.

Is this normal? My car is a 2005 if that makes a difference...

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
The AC compressor normally engages intermittently. It is thermostatically controlled.
Thank you dear rmiller. Do you agree the defrost could have something to do with the a/c coming on whichever way that it does? It's a balmy 77F here and I can't be bothered to put the heat on.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Modern cars, the AC will come on at a low setting when defog is selected and the fan is running, to help dry out the air. At this low setting you will notice the compressor cycling on/off more than it would under full AC operation (although it should always cycle a bit - if it doesn't the system is probably undercharged or the expansion valve is stuck).

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
...Do you agree the defrost could have something to do with the a/c coming on...
Yes, that is how things are now. It annoys me that car makers think that they have to operate the controls for me, but I do realize that a vast majority of car owners know nothing about thermodynamics and will never figure this out on their own. What the Hell, it benefits all society. This is probably why I haven't been run over yet by a scientific illiterate with a foggy windshield.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Yes, that is how things are now. It annoys me that car makers think that they have to operate the controls for me, but I do realize that a vast majority of car owners know nothing about thermodynamics and will never figure this out on their own. What the Hell, it benefits all society. This is probably why I haven't been run over yet by a scientific illiterate with a foggy windshield.
Dear rmiller those are strong words to oppose the nanny state. You are to be commended by civil libertarians everywhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies. I have been running the setting almost constantly on "defrost" here on the cold days in the midwest. Makes sense that the compressor would cycle more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts