MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,577 Posts
I hadn't thought of that and its interesting. One thing to remember is that you cannot force air into the engine. The engine is like a lung, it will only gulp as much air as it can utilize. The best you can do is make sure there is the least amount of obstructions in the way of gulping air and that the air is as close to ambient as possible. Whether your idea will help or not, I am honestly not sure.

Here is a good summary of the entire stock intake system:
http://vps2940.inmotionhosting.com/~spyder5/forums/showthread.php?29804-Stock-Intake-Dissection

Some things I'd also look into for stock airbox modification:
-Removing the sound wall located inside the top half of the stock airbox, you can see it in one of the pictures.

-Insulating the stock airbox by putting insulation on the *inside* of the airbox.
Example:
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/780806-stock-airbox-mod-inquiry/page__st__25

· Registered
1,577 Posts
We aren't talking about turbos or sportsbikes...I am talking about the OP trying to force air into the intake tube by putting it into the path of oncoming airflow. I thought that was implied. Obviously a turbo does force air in and if you have an open intake inlet gong 100 mph into direct air resistance you will "force" air into it. But this is irrelevant to the discussion.

· Registered
1,577 Posts
I appreciate all of your comments and critiques. This is only a test!
I think its great what your doing regardless of whether it works or not. Testing is the best way to learn what works and what doesn't. We can theorize and speculate all we want, but doing it is the only way to find out for sure.

However, I will say that I took the spyder for a nice 120 mile round trip this afternoon with the mod in place and it seems that there was a deeper growl to the motor and I got to speed a little quicker. I think i need to run it this way for a while then remove it and see if I notice a loss of any performance gains that may be occurring before I can make any kind of sound judgment on the 'worthiness' of this mod.

I would add that investing in a OBD-II scanner or a OBD-II app for a smart phone would be a good idea. It's a great way to determine actual gains from reading the long term fuel trims, iat, etc. It adds a bit of hard data to compliment your observations,ear,butt dyno.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.