MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
503 Posts
In my old (1ZZ ) set up where I used the stock air-box with an ITG panel filter, I had a 3 inches diam. rubber hose inserted (squeezed actually) in the left side vent and ducted the incoming draft straight to the above shown engine bay opening, just next to the electrical box. The straight portion of the 3 inches rubber hose was about 35-40 centimeters and in purpose to form the necessary curve to the opening I attached an aluminum flexible (of the same diameter) ventilation duct using - what else? - duct tape.
As for the results? Well, I cannot prove anything since I have no pre and after dyno numbers, but the feel was that in higher speeds there was "some" difference felt in my butt dyno.

· Registered
503 Posts
@Levi: My friend, in my understanding no one here even hinted anything about ram air "forced" induction, not that it cannot be done, but there are other issues , including the expected gains vs the effort and expenses. All we are talking about here is a cheap DIY 5 minutes job in purpose to get lower than stock intake temperatures and the subsequent gains but with possible concerns as Dev said before!
@T-Bone:As for the internal (not existing) smoothness of the aluminum duct that I used, I think that the incoming air draft no matter how turbulent may be, will be smoothed out through the factory route up to the air-box.
And by the way, I must say that I had replaced the U shaped plastic tube located behind the left rear lights pod with an other tube (8 cm dia) in order to get rid of the venturi part of the original tube. As for the internals of the air-box I did nothing besides the filter panel replacement with one from ITG .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.