MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several threads about cold air intake mods and how they don't really improve anything but the sound. And hearing from folks like Dev and Cap Weir that the stock setup is better than aftermarket intakes, I decided to take a closer look at my '02 stock intake.
It opens into the engine compartment just in front of the fuse box in the drivers side engine compartment. But what I found is that a large bundle of wiring is routed right in front of the intake. And the intake doesn't orient toward the air flow.
(This pic shows the bundle but after I'd already cut the tie-down. It was actually closer to the opening than it appears in this pic.).
I thought that clearing the wire bundle away from the opening would help increase air flow so I rerouted the bundles to remove any obstruction to the intake.

After doing this I started wondering if there might be a way to increase the air flow to the stock intake. The drivers side vent is partially blocked by the fuel tank filling tube, what looks like a vapor return pipe and another one I don't know. The air that does enter the engine compartment has to turn a corner to be sucked into the intake. Would re-routing some of that air coming in toward the intake help performance?
So I came up with this.

I cobbled together a small intake tube from 1 liter coke bottles to see if I could make a sort of ram air device that wouldn't constrict air flow at idle but would increase the air entering the intake when moving and at speed. More views.

And another.

And here it is installed into the side air vent.

And after the fuse box and battery were reinstalled.

I don't know if this mod will help, hurt, or have no affect, but I'll let ya'll know what happens.
I'd love to hear any thoughts on this and if anyone else has tried anything like this before.
If it does seem to have a positive effect I'll figure out a way to make a more,// er, ..durable version.

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Please sir. I wanna hear your thoughs on how this mod works.
I was thinking that increasing the velosity of the air entering the stock intake, as well as reducing the amount of warm engine compartment air in the mix could/might bring some benefit to the combustion efficiency. But I didn't want to restrict the intake at idle. I tried a closed intake extension first but was worried that it might reduce the air intake at idle or slow speeds. I was just trying to put more air pressure at the opening when moving.

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Interesting approach let us know if it works. Any way to smooth out the inside? be my only observation.
As Ben 88 said, if this seems to have a possitive effect, I'll try something made from pvc. This was a cheap experiment I thought up and constructed from what materials were available at the time, (late night Saturday with too much time on my hands).
It was actually smoother untill I decided to paint it to make it more weather proof. The duct tape "puckered" after applying the paint.

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I applaud your effort however I have to be the Debby downer on this one and point out a few things.

1. The inlet of the tube in the fender is not facing the flow of air for a good reason. That reason is to avoid as much dust and contaminants in the direct flow of the air.

2. The intake is only concerned with drawing air though suction at a cold source only and when air enters the side vent which is cool it does not matter if it is in a direct or indirect path to receive the air just that the air is cold. Indirect path is better for reasons out lined in point number one.

3. The pressure gradient of air flow though the tube what ever that maybe will not be anywhere sufficient to increase any power what so ever.
Thanks for your appause. But 1.) as to dust, the difference in the amount of dust "ingested" from this mod v.s. the normal amount of dust entering the air vent would be nominal in my opinion. I mean, if the road is dusty, dust will enter.
And 2.) the pressure gradient? All I know is that when testing the mod I used an old hand held hair dryer pointed at the opening, and what I observed seemed to indicate that a significant amount of air flow was redirected to follow the curve of the tube. Which when installed pushes air directly into the intake opening. Does it make a difference? I don't know yet, but it has to be more air entering the intake tube than would happen in a passive suck situation.
My main worry was water getting sucked into the tube when it rains, ( a more and more rare occurence around here).

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all of your comments and critiques. This is only a test! However, I will say that I took the spyder for a nice 120 mile round trip this afternoon with the mod in place and it seems that there was a deeper growl to the motor and I got to speed a little quicker. I think i need to run it this way for a while then remove it and see if I notice a loss of any performance gains that may be occurring before I can make any kind of sound judgment on the 'worthiness' of this mod.

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It would simply have to be back to back with a cool down in between. It also has to be out of the statistical error of the dyno.
I do have an OBD II reader and I, too would be interested in the back to back readings with and without the mod taken while driving the car. The problem is that to get this mod in or out I have to disconnect the battery. That means I have to drive it long enough to reset the ECU. Chances are that the temp, air pressure, etc. wont be the same for each reading.

And I think Dev is correct that a dyno won't show any significant change in performance with or without the mod. But , and please correct me if I'm wrong, dyno tests aren't done while the vehicle is moving. So in order to tell if there might be an effect the dyno test would have to be done in an air tunnel simulating driving speed. Can they do that?

Maybe I can rig up some looong battery cables that allow me to move the battery enough to remove the air tube without disconnecting the power. Then I might be able to do a back to back reading under the same conditions.

Ah! Science can be fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.