MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite this, I do believe there is another way to find out and that is we will need to examine Spyders that have been in accidents and if the majority of the passenger airbags have been deployed along with the drivers.
An excellent suggestion! The purpose of this thread is to compile information regarding the airbag deployment in relation to aftermarket seats, seat belts and the position of the passenger defeat switch.

Please relate:
* Seats, stock or aftermarket. If aftermarket how did you address the stock seat wiring or was it disconnected.

* Seat belts. Were they being worn. Stock system and wiring or race harness and roll bar.

*Accident. Solo or with passenger. Front, side or rear impact. What, if any airbags deployed. Speed and other details would be helpful.

With this information hopefully we can safely determine if aftermarket seats can be used and expect the airbag to work as Toyota intended.

My accident. 2000 Spyder, stock seats and seat belts. No passenger. Passenger airbag active. My speed, about 15 MPH. Other car, about 40 MPH. Side impact, front end. Seat belt on, Both air bags deployed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here's what I'd like to know: some people have speculated that aftermarket seats may deactivate the passenger airbag. There is a "passenger airbag" indicator light on the dash - it says "off" when you fire the car up and then this "off" light extinguishes after the diagnostic check (and as long as you haven't deactivated the airbag through the switch in the glovebox). If removal of the stock seat deactivates the airbag, why would this not illuminate the "off" light?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.