MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of putting different seats in my spyder, and I was wondering if the passenger and driver airbags will deploy. I know there's a sensor in the seat that tells the car if someone's in it, for seat belt warning etc, and i wonder if that sensor is also used to determine if the airbags should be deployed.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not 100% sure but don't think the sensor in the driver's seat is connected in any way to the airbag. The passenger seat isn't wired to anything.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I do not have actual knowledge on thi subject, but it has come up before. It seems that someone offered up that the default setting is to allow the airbags to deploy--only if the sensors override that setting would they not deploy. Again, I am not certain of that. If you search and find answers, come back and let us know. Thanks!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've searched, and haven't found any answers, hence the new post. :)

I have seen a number of photos where airbags have been deployed in a spyder, and noticed that only the driver side has opened. I'm fairly certain that it implies that the passenger seat airbag will not deploy if the sensor says no-one is in the seat.

I'm less certain about the driver side, for the obvious reason that usually the driver is in the car during the accident. However, if the same logic applies in the airbag ECU, then doing a seat replacement may disable the airbags.

I haven't found any reports yet of cars with aftermarket seats having airbags deployed, but if anyone else knows, pls post it up.

Cheers!

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
So your question is if changing to aftermarket seats will the airbags deploy like normal. I think they will. I think the airbag system is mostly wired into some main sensors in the front of the car. Seats should not make a difference. Those wired connectors under the seats pretty much go directly to the seatbelt buckle, I know because I moved the stock buckles to my aftermarket seats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi!

I wouldn't feel fine with a disconnected sensor, because I know that there are some cars (hopefully our spyder is one of them), who will not deploy the passengers airbag, when there is nobody sitting. Because it makes no sense.:huh:

But I'm not sure if MR2 is so intelligent.

Is there no plug available or could nobody create this feature, to tell the system, that there is everytimes somebody on the seat? Ofcourse then you have the light blinking in your cockpit.

Regards
Stumpjumper

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
So your question is if changing to aftermarket seats will the airbags deploy like normal. I think they will. I think the airbag system is mostly wired into some main sensors in the front of the car. Seats should not make a difference. Those wired connectors under the seats pretty much go directly to the seatbelt buckle, I know because I moved the stock buckles to my aftermarket seats.
Comment rescended.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This much I do know. With no one in the passenger seat and the belt not connected, the passenger side air bag will deploy along with the drivers side. Not sure, but I do believe the drivers side is just for the seat belt warning system.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My guess is that the driver's side airbag is always on and the passenger's side can only be turned off by the switch in the glove-box, regardless of seats. It just doesn't make sense for the vehicle to risk turning off an airbag by guessing a passenger is absent based on crappy pressure switches.

There's a warning light on the passenger's side of the dash, which illuminates when their airbag is off - surely that would light if the pressure switch in the passenger's seat was modulating the airbag state?

·
Registered
578 Posts
The green wire energizes the "Tensior Reducer Solenoid" when the seatbelt is buckled. Exactly what the Tension Reducer Solenoid does and the ramifications of leaving it truned off is beyond me. I think it would be safer to ground the green wire than to leave it disconnected, as that is how things are when the car is being driven with the seatbelt buckled.
I seem to remember reading that in the event of an airbag deployment, the system also quickly pulls the slack out of the seatbelt(s?), to keep the occupant(s?) from flopping forward and meeting the oncoming airbag with their face(s?), and to minimize bruising from impact with the belt. The solenoid seems oddly named if this is it, but maybe something was lost in the translation from Japanese.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm confused, under my 03 drivers seat there are 2 plugs, one that goes into the seat belt receptacle and one that plugged into the seat which I thought was for the adjustable lumbar support. Because when the plug that went into the seat was unplugged the lumbar support didn't change. I re-used the stock seat belt receptacle in my aftermarket seat so my seat belt off/on light still works. Is the seat belt receptacle plug the one you guys are talking about? or do even pre 03 cars have a plug that goes into the seat itself and not the seat belt receptacle?

Other more documented cars seem like there is no sensor for the driver's seat

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-interior/189827-aftermarket-seat-install-what-about-airbags.html

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-ins...airbag-fix-pass-side-bladder-replacement.html

·
Registered
578 Posts
My cars (2000 & 2001) have wires to the seats coming out of the floor carpeting. I don't actually know where they go after they enter the carpeting, but there is only one plug for each seat. If you have a second plug, I'm guessing it's aftermarket.
My '04 is the same, one connector per seat.

Boy, wouldn't lumbar support be nice. :huh:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I dug out my repair manual CD and found the wiring diagrams for the seat belt waring system and the SRS system. Looking at them side by side I found some interesting relationships between the two systems.

1. Both systems tie into a combination meter. Part of the meter contains the seat belt buzzer.

2.There are two green wires. One leaving the "combination meter from what appears to be the seat belt side of the meter to what is listed as the BUCKLE SW, RH AND SEAT BELT WARNING OCCUPANT
DETECTION SENSOR, the other one goes between TENSION REDUCER SOLENOID LH and the BUCKLE SW AND TENSION REDUCER LH.

3. Where it gets interesting is at wiring junction J6 which ties BUCKLE SW AND TENSION
REDUCER LH to both the seat belt and SRS side on the combination meter, and the RH Occupant (where one of the green wires go) sensor connects to the ground coming from the buckle switch on the LH side.

4. The CENTER AIRBAG SENSOR ASSEMBLY has leads going to both the RH and LH pretensioner

5. The sensor that controls air bag deployment is located under the dash on the interior side of the firewall.

6. The connectors under the seats are shown in the location diagrams as "B 7 Buckle SW and Tension Reducer LH" and "B 8 Buckle SW RH and Seat Belt Warning Occupant Detection Sensor"

From what I can make of it, the two systems are interconnected. Actions taken in the event of a collision appear to be deploy airbags and activate the tensioner's if the seat belt system is activated by buckling up and seat switch detecting a passenger. It does not state anywhere that the airbags will not deploy if seat belt's are not worn. Draw your own conclusions, but I think your not going to disable the air bag system if the seats are not connected. But you will get warnings from the seat belt system.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.