MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y鈥檃ll , this is my 2nd 2001 MR2 and she started ruff idoling and engine light on. I first read a few posts of misfires but didn鈥檛 come across anyone talking about all four. After warming up she runs fine, only durning cold start ups does she misfire. Any one with thoughts. Starting with the spark plugs , this way I can see what they look like. Thanks for any susgestions

Registered
Since you owned the car did it ever run well?
Check oil cap to see if there is water on the cap. Is there oil in the water?
Do you smell/taste sweet when it鈥檚 running?

You need to do SOME diagnosis and provide added detail. What you have stated isn鈥檛 enough to diagnose from here. Guessing what鈥檚 behind the door is only mildly entertaining.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for some knowledge Ispy, I will check and finally get to dig into many areas on Thursday do to my crazy life. I picked up the car from my dad , it wasn鈥檛 driven in 3years. Got it for a bargain about one week ago. I had the same Mr2 about 6 years ago made a mistake by selling it. I got lucky to get another. Hopefully Thursday I will have some more info and surprises for me. All I did so far was oil, filters and checking suspension.

Registered
A malfunctioning IAC can cause this on cold starts. Does the spyder have a cold high idle or does it just cough and run rough or stall when started cold. I had a dirty IAC that didn't give high idle cold and the engine required throttle until it warmed a bit. The ECU threw multiple 30x codes, cleaning fixed the problem until it was replaced.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
So on thes cold days we鈥檝e been having it started misfiring bad in the mornings. Sometimes it revs high and other times stays idle during misfire. Yes when she鈥檚 warmed up all symptoms disappear... besides the p codes for misfire I also got both cat sensors bad too... now what is this IAC? I was also told to check and clean my mass air flow sensor

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank u neo for the info , I will read it tomorrow when I鈥檓 sober. It鈥檚 pool league night . Thank u much, I鈥檇 love to get her fixed. I bought a Porsche Boxster after I sold my first me2, and yes she was incredible to drive , but what a pain in the ass. At least with a Toyota u know what your fixn . Old German cars r like a puzzle missing pieces. Thanks again

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so an update on my misfire. Changed the spark plugs, cleaned the mass air flow sensor ( which definitely had some build up on it) and looked for vacuums leaks on any hoses(found now). This morning she started up better but still after a minute went to boggy idal while warming up for 5 mins.

Registered
One issue with the car running rough until warm is that with heat, metal swells ever so slightly. That swell closes gaps. Gaps that created loss of vacuum. With heat vacuum losing gaps close. Under demand these systems continue to falter despite being warm, but they are harder to detect.
Heat also changes the function or performance of multiple systems, primarily the emission system (fuel and air regulation). Every part in the above can create significant issues in the operation of your motor.
You need to go through the major components piece by piece. Isolating and evaluating.
Add to all this if your car is pre-facelift the motor and exhaust (pre-cats) are another fail point which is hard to decifer with limited experience or tools.
Then there is a car that has been stored for a reasonably long time. Mice damage, fuel quality, and a myriad of other possible issues come into the realm of possible causes or added causes of poor performance.
I personally start by looking for vacuum leaks by running the motor and listening, moving every rubber item and using carb cleaner to check the air system (especially the intake-head). I would also get new fuel into the tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thank u ISPY for the knowledge, I did change the fuel already. From videos I watched looks like I will have to do much searching like u suggest with hoses and the cats... when u say use carb cleaner, if I鈥檓 spraying around a location and if ther is a gap will I be listening for a smoother Motor run??? I have tools and patience but knowledge is what I lack. Such as the pre cats u talk about, if I disconnect them how visually can I see if ther bad besides bad connection or rotted holes? Once again thank u for your time and knowledge.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Seantc , yes somebody before mentioned to me about the IAC. I鈥檝e heard so many stories of people saying use an cleaning additive for fuel injectors and others saying it鈥檒l mess things up. I believe I read gas companies already put cleaning agents in the gas for this reasons . I hope that ur problem gets fixed and all is good. This site is a miracle I need on a tight budget and lack of knowledge on extreme car cases. So any info on what the outcome of ur fix and any others u may find I am greatful for what u share , thanks

Registered
Pre-cats are very fine honeycomb. The damage can be that they are partially or fully gone or the honeycomb look filled. There are means to remove an O2 sensor and with a flashlight you can peer into the ca to see it鈥檚 condition. They are a charcoal white and the honeycomb are distinct.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thank u, i can definitely check that out this weekend at my buddies garage do to how late I work.

Registered
My first spyder would throw all misfire codes at rough idle. As the weather got cooler, it didn't want to start or was hard starting and gradually got worse. Mine turned out to be a compression issue.
Basics = spark + fuel + compression. I wish I had started at compression, would have save much $

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear that , thanks for the info. Do u know if u Can rent the tool kit for compression tests?

Registered
Results are back - headgasket is on the way out (or blown) and its the compression / coolant thats causing the misfires. Engine made it to 220,000; quite sprightly I might add. r.i.p because I'm not going to bother with replacing headgasket. New(ish) 1ZZ time 馃槍

I suspected this was the case because my reservoir was considerably pressurized even on totally cold engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, sorry to hear that and at the same time thanks for the info. 220 mileage is good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts