MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right spot for this, if its not please let me know.

Looking to buy a Spyder. I am in talks with a private buyer, here are the specs
  • 55k miles
  • True 5 speed manual
  • New shift knob
  • 4 prior owners
  • Clean carfax
  • Deep southern US but not near a major city
  • Garaged entire life
  • Last 4 years has been driven 3k miles
  • Exhaust replaced with Lotus exhaust purely for aesthetics
  • Wheels replaced 4 years ago - lots of life left on em.
  • Very very few scratches on the vehicle - just a few nicks around the front lights
  • No dents
  • No rust
  • Soft top is a stretchy rubbery material - no issues and looks great
  • Replaced factory radio with something that has BT
  • Seats are leather - no serious issues with cracking or similar
  • Everything else stock
Owner won't budge below $10k, already came down from $11. The car is in immaculate condition... almost just concerned with how nice it truly is. I will not be garaging it as I do not have a garage.

Curious from your guy's perspective.

·
Registered
272 Posts
05 with 55k mile sounds very reasonable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
... almost just concerned with how nice it truly is. I will not be garaging it as I do not have a garage.

Curious from your guy's perspective.
If you're going to shell out that much money for a well-preserved car, it wouldn't make sense to then let it get sunblasted outside going forward. I mean, it'll be your car to do whatever with, but I'd recommend at least getting a cover to mitigate the effects of leaving the car outside.

Also, even if it's very well kept, the car's chassis has some flex even with factory bracing the later models have. Expect rattles from the soft top up or down, etc. I've been trying to slowly iron out one area after the other, so there will still be more work to do once you have the car.

Of course I'm speaking without knowledge of your plans, but good luck to you and it looks like you've already found a pretty well-kept one. Hope to see another new owner on the boards soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're going to shell out that much money for a well-preserved car, it wouldn't make sense to then let it get sunblasted outside going forward.
I thought about this too. Not sure if it makes sense to pay a bunch of money to have it bake in the sun.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
With it being silver and mileage over 50k I really wouldn't consider it a collector car . Yeah you're probably over paying ... they all seem to be as of late . Depending on your planned length of ownership the price probably doesn't really matter that much . It's also easier for us to say don't buy it because most of us already have a spyder .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ve been looking for the right Spyder since January. Even though $10k doesn’t feel crazy in terms of buying a vehicle, I’ve been thinking that $10k and up really only makes sense for one in a desirable color combo that you’re gonna take great care of, baby somewhat, and leave stock. And not as an investment but just to be a steward of a fine example. I don’t have a garage at the moment(hoping to soon) so although I’ve been wishing for some of the cars in the 05 thread, I’m probably gonna keep looking closer to the $5k range, solid mechanicals and chassis. I had to pass by a good candidate a couple months ago. I also would love to just bite the bullet and do a swap, so in some ways I feel like I would rather spend that $10k on the 2ar-fe swap parts, a clean chassis with a blown engine, and a hardtop.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Price is probably about right. If it was a more rare color it would be much more expensive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does it have an LSD? If you’ve got the VIN you could post it over to Lee’s thread. 05 Directory
Price is probably about right. If it was a more rare color it would be much more expensive.
True. PGP or Yellow are the rarest for 05 I think. I don’t really care about it being “rare” I just like PGP and paradise blue the best.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
54 Posts
If it is completely stock and this hasn't been modified, the VIN plate would have 01B to indicate it's has a LSD. There are even less 2005 models left in circulation so getting one with lower miles is even more less likely, especially at this price. I'm not sure how many silver cars there originally were but it seems to be the most available color in any year model. If it's in good condition, mechanically and bumper to bumper without any accident history, then it sounds like a good price. Inspect it closely and follow your gut feeling about it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
10k for the car as described sounds like a good price to me (unless you specifically want a car with an LSD). Ppl can pontificate on the most rare color or options for every year but all of that is pretty meaningless if you are buying the car to drive it because the miles will rack up & you will obviously will take a loss if you eventually decide to sell it. At the end of the day if it checks off the boxes that you want in a car and puts a smile on your face then you haven't overpaid.

Reactions: BGB-TOY

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
If you're going to shell out that much money for a well-preserved car, it wouldn't make sense to then let it get sunblasted outside going forward. I mean, it'll be your car to do whatever with, but I'd recommend at least getting a cover to mitigate the effects of leaving the car outside.
I kinda agree with this sentiment as that's exactly what happened to my silver spyder. It was in pristine condition then i bought it. Was parked on the streets of NYC, got bumped multiple times, dings started to appear, hit by a drunk driver while parked, sun baked, front bumper sandblasted and hood has a million rusted chips now. I used to wash and wax the crap out of it but eventually year after year it started to deteriorate and now it looks like crap, although i still love it.

Seems like a decent price though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts