MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
KILLER deal at $9k IMO. A yellow 03 just sold on BaT for far more. For whatever reason the forum users here insist on devaluing their own vehicles. I have slightly higher mileage and wouldn't even consider selling my car anywhere near that price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
KILLER deal at $9k IMO. A yellow 03 just sold on BaT for far more. For whatever reason the forum users here insist on devaluing their own vehicles. I have slightly higher mileage and wouldn't even consider selling my car anywhere near that price.
36k-Mile 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 5-Speed This one, yah? It does have the hard top and fewer miles. But regardless, very satisfied with my purchase! She's just sitting in the driveway until the DMV opens up on Monday...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I paid 15k for my 05 in 2015 with 42k miles in immaculate condition.

I've been happy with this purchase every single day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think devaluing & reality are 2 different things. A lot of people list their cars for their exorbitant prices, a few lucky ones even find someone willing to throw cash at em but that doesn’t change what the car is actually worth

Reactions: BGB-TOY

·
Registered
652 Posts
It fits well, and seems like it would stand up to just about anything.

Sad fact is, my lazy ass hardly ever uses it.

I did have it on there when it snowed one time, and I was able to whip it off and all the snow went on the ground. I had to hang it up to dry, so that's probably why I never use it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Purchased the Covercraft WeatherShield HP. Wont be here for about a month though. Car is currently cooking in 95 degree North Carolina heat >.<

·
Registered
652 Posts
It's really high quality. I looked at mine on my workbench earlier, with my car cooking in the heat outside... lol

What colors did you pick? I got the black/blue combo

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think devaluing & reality are 2 different things. A lot of people list their cars for their exorbitant prices, a few lucky ones even find someone willing to throw cash at em but that doesn’t change what the car is actually worth
I wholeheartedly disagree! You are confusing price and value. The market dictates what the car is worth in terms of the price someone is willing to (and actually does) pay. "Value" is what you get for the price you give. Again, in my opinion, MRS owners on this forum are devaluing their cars. This will translate into lower pricing, since they are willing to sell for less than what their cars are inherently worth based on current market pricing for low mileage, late model examples.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I wholeheartedly disagree! You are confusing price and value. The market dictates what the car is worth in terms of the price someone is willing to (and actually does) pay. "Value" is what you get for the price you give. Again, in my opinion, MRS owners on this forum are devaluing their cars. This will translate into lower pricing, since they are willing to sell for less than what their cars are inherently worth based on current market pricing for low mileage, late model examples.
Well, I'm not selling my car. I drive my shit till the wheels fall off. So... the value is what I say it is.

...priceless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's really high quality. I looked at mine on my workbench earlier, with my car cooking in the heat outside... lol

What colors did you pick? I got the black/blue combo
Went with the solid brown because it was cheaper. Got it for $260. shrug

·
Registered
277 Posts
We are talking about a drop in the bucket of private sales, not controlling entire market shares therefore value and price are inextricably linked.
A+B=C
What you are getting isn’t changing....what you are paying is. Therefore a good price reflects a positive value and vice versa. Would I want to sell my Spyder for less than 20k?...not at all. Is my Spyder worth anywhere near 20k? Not at all. At the end of the day sentimental value is not actual value.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The value of what you are getting IS changing, which is why the price of rare cars increases. I could have purchased a S2000 CR for $29k OTD in 2008. I balked. Today used ones sell as high as $80k and with thousands of miles on them. Again, price and value are not the same thing. One you give, and the other you receive. Both can change over time. The used car "should" be worth less because the last guy beat up on it for several years, but in reality it is now 4x the price. It has increased in value.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The value of what you are getting IS changing, which is why the price of rare cars increases. I could have purchased a S2000 CR for $29k OTD in 2008. I balked. Today used ones sell as high as $80k and with thousands of miles on them. Again, price and value are not the same thing. One you give, and the other you receive. Both can change over time. The used car "should" be worth less because the last guy beat up on it for several years, but in reality it is now 4x the price. It has increased in value.
You are comparing value at 2 different points in time, 12 yrs apart. To start with a dollar 12 yrs ago isn’t a dollar today. . . . I am talking about right here, right now...reality check on what the car is worth. While we might personally value it as such, we don’t own 4 wheeled Mona Lisa’s. Your example is essentially describing what day traders do when they speculate on the price of things such as crude oil, corn, & gold. I am referring to value as it relates to the purchase of a car to be used as a car, not a commodity....more like buying that corn in the grocery store for dinner tonight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Account for inflation, and the point still stands. The value of the Honda S2000 CR has increased greatly, there is no disputing that. It is the same for many old cars, and will be the same for the MR2 Spyder (hint, it is already happening and there are plenty of examples like the one I mentioned from BaT recently). An E30 M3 just sold there for $250k. A QUARTER MILLION DOLLARS. It had a repainted fender, hardly a museum piece. Surely you wouldn't pay a tiny fraction of that price for such a car. I certainly wouldn't. Nonetheless, several bidders felt otherwise and clearly value the E30 M3 tremendously.

There is literally no group worse for mitigating the value of their own vehicles than MR2 owners. I just sold a 88SC and it was hilarious to get emails from MR2 guys vs non-MR2 enthusiasts. MR2 owners: "well it needs some work and by the time I source an old HKS twin charged kit and upgrade the blower to a rotex and the snail to a dual ball-bearing unit and don't tell me the t-tops leak in a high-pressure automatic car wash and so I can only offer you half price despite that I can't even get an original powertrain with 78k miles for your asking price and your ad clearly says no tire kickers or low-ballers..." whereas everyone else: "killer deal! will you hold it? I will bring cash" and they show up the next day with a fistful of money. The entrepreneurial high school kid who bought it will flip it for a nice profit.

I noticed during a blissful drive last evening that my 05 spyder is about to hit 60k miles. I wouldn't sell it for $10k cash tomorrow, which is more than the OP paid for a car with fewer miles. I wouldn't even consider it at that price. Now, at $15-20k I may consider it, but only after the Exige shows up and only if the Exige is worth the premium I am paying over the MRS (5-10x).

21 - 40 of 40 Posts