MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
looks like he swiped something with the entire right side plus the knocked up rear... gonna have to get half the exterior repaired. You can probably find a way better deal.

·
Registered
199 Posts
$1000.00 to repair?

My experience with that kind of damage will cost you more than $1000.00.
From the photos, seemed like there damages on the rear bumper as well.

Best wishes...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I agree with what's been said above; there's better deals to be had. 8K or walk sounds about right... There's also this on the website:

"Disclaimer
Price excludes government fees and taxes, any finance charges, any dealer document preparation charge, and any emission testing charge."

Look out for those fees man. They can't waive taxes, but any fees are add-ons. Taxes must be passed on to the consumer, but fees are applied against the business, who then decides to pass them on. Dealer document preparation charges..... c'mon. I hate car lots for that reason.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Run away as fast as you can. Honestly I do not think it is even worth $8000 with that damage. The front bumper also looked like it was scuffed up on the right side. Your looking at repairing and repainting over half the car.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
That is going to be 5K to fix..

I hit a Deer with mine last year or so, and it was 4.2K to just PAINT the Front, and new Hood and Bumper..

That will need all New Paint after the Body work to get it all to blend..

My '01 with 30 Ish on the Clock was $11K 6 Years ago..

Find Another

Cap

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I was actually guessing 3K minimum.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the title checks out clean.

Thanks guys, I was thinking it was a decent deal but still had my doubt and red flags about this dealership. I researched there review ratings on yahoo/yelp and a lot of them are probably fake since they only submitted 1 review ever, with the legit ones looked bad.

I guess I'll offer 8k and see what happens, but I'm not sure if its worth the hassle now. I had no idea repairs would be that much

·
Registered
51 Posts
For what it's worth

I just wanted your opinions on this. It's a 03 with 46k going for $9999. Bad part is the side/rear damage that doesn't look too bad. I'm guessing it will cost at least $1000 to repair. This would be the first time buying a used car with any major damage. Any thoughts?

I recently purchased an '03 with leather interior and 24,700 miles and nearly showroom condition. If mine was a good deal, the one that you're looking at isn't.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=313630603&dealer_id=100025580&car_year=2003&systime=&doors=&mod el=MR2SPYDR&search_lang=en&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=75&min_price=&rdm=1326933932852&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=66997&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2013&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=LOS_ANGELES_SO&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=& dress=90504&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=TOYOTA&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=21&standard=false

I just wanted your opinions on this. It's a 03 with 46k going for $9999. Bad part is the side/rear damage that doesn't look too bad. I'm guessing it will cost at least $1000 to repair. This would be the first time buying a used car with any major damage. Any thoughts?

I recently purchased an '03 with leather interior and 24,700 miles and nearly showroom condition. If mine was a good deal, the one that you're looking at isn't.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Do not make an offer until you pin down the repair cost. Today, the costs of repairing damage is almost always under estimated by the the common lay person. I see 3k in repairs and that is prolly conservative. Plus, the car will now have an accident on the carfax which is a red flag for the next buyer. It does affect the price down the road.

·
Registered
193 Posts
To have a new rear bumper cover, new rear bonnet, new left tail light, and a bar repaired from an accident ran me a cool 4700 dollars. This is an awful deal. I picked up my 03' with 78k miles for 9,000 flat. Awesome condition, 1 owner, great top, slightly worn mismatched tires, but all records kept, all services done at dealerships. Hold off and a good deal will pop up sooner or later.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do not make an offer until you pin down the repair cost. Today, the costs of repairing damage is almost always under estimated by the the common lay person. I see 3k in repairs and that is prolly conservative. Plus, the car will now have an accident on the carfax which is a red flag for the next buyer. It does affect the price down the road.
Excellent advice. I agree with the $4-5K repair costs. I hit a deer last year and front and rear bumper covers, a hood, radiator and radiator support, and lots of other "little" parts was over $5500. I had a rear quarter panel fixed at the same time that had been previously repaired (poorly) and that was almost $600 alone. Thankfully, the insurance covered it, but it was close to being totaled.

If you price a door plus front and rear fender, you are at almost $1,500 just for 3 parts. You "might" find a used door, but add in other parts, paint, maybe a rear bumper cover, and the $4-5K sounds about right. If the top they managed to hide needs replaced..........

Another question to ask, is why wasn't it repaired? That suggests the previous owner didn't have insurance, they didn't report the damage, the insurance company was going to total it, or the owner just took the money and didn't fix the car. If the owner didn't have insurance, or they didn't fix it or report it, you have to wonder how they treated and maintained the car.

If you really are interested, pay a body shop to make a detailed estimate, and pay a mechanic to look it over very carefully. I think you will be shocked at the costs. If the dealer won't allow that - run, run very fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts