MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Spyder new in 2001 at the age of 65. It only has 28,000 miles on it because I garage it from November to April. Since purchasing, I have installed some modest improvements: Remus dual-outlet exhaust; TRD Stainless headers (no pre-cats); Unichip programmed ECU; K&N Air Filter;TRD short-shift unit; JDM badges (nose, wheels and steering wheel). In addition, I swapped out the OEM transmission lube for MT-90 (shifts much smoother) and the engine has never tasted anything other than Mobil One synthetic. It runs great except for a terrific interior drone at speed. (Multiple trips, Detroit-to- Indy for F-1 and MotoGP races). Should I swap out the exhaust system (which still looks as pristine as day one) for a quieter one, or just enjoy the noise and the inability to enjoy - no, even hear - CD's,tapes, or the radio at speed? From outside, the sound seems pretty mellow -kind of a cross between a TR-3 and an XK-120 :lol:

Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Or you can just add "quiet car" sound deadning material to kill the drone at freeway speeds. They work great

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Hardtop :)

Panel dampening (dynamat-like) can help.
I have sound-deadening foam in place of the stock firewall insulation -- I'm convinced it helps.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
When you really want to listen to music, just use head phones, ear buds, etc. Cheaper than changing the exhaust. I had a similar set-up including the Remus exhaust so I'm surprised you are complaining of droning.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I purchased my Spyder new in 2001 at the age of 65. It only has 28,000 miles on it because I garage it from November to April. Since purchasing, I have installed some modest improvements: Remus dual-outlet exhaust; TRD Stainless headers (no pre-cats); Unichip programmed ECU; K&N Air Filter;TRD short-shift unit; JDM badges (nose, wheels and steering wheel). In addition, I swapped out the OEM transmission lube for MT-90 (shifts much smoother) and the engine has never tasted anything other than Mobil One synthetic. It runs great except for a terrific interior drone at speed. (Multiple trips, Detroit-to- Indy for F-1 and MotoGP races). Should I swap out the exhaust system (which still looks as pristine as day one) for a quieter one, or just enjoy the noise and the inability to enjoy - no, even hear - CD's,tapes, or the radio at speed? From outside, the sound seems pretty mellow -kind of a cross between a TR-3 and an XK-120 :lol:

Any suggestions out there?
Drive faster! Really. My car with TMs is quitter the faster I drive, especially with the top down.

·
Registered
731 Posts
When you really want to listen to music, just use head phones, ear buds, etc. Cheaper than changing the exhaust. I had a similar set-up including the Remus exhaust so I'm surprised you are complaining of droning.
Is it really legal for you guys to have headphones on while driving? CA cops would jump at that opportunity to write a ticket.

Drive faster! Really. My car with TMs is quitter the faster I drive, especially with the top down.
Kaustein is right, if driving fast enough, you can actually break away from the resonant waves from the muffler and outrun your sound (the reverse Doppler theory), becoming quieter than a Prius at a stoplight . . . it's science . . . not really, I am just being sarcastic.

You can always find a stock muffler and switch that back and forth depending on your preference for throatiness (though if your preferences change often, this might be a hassle with all of the switching back and forth). I would definitely hold onto the Remus though, regardless of what you do. I would love to get my hands on one out here but I haven't see any.

Good luck and hope you find the decibels you're after. (And in my book, 65 is far from 'old,' and this also applies to your age now, :) )

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Turbo with a good 3" exhaust from Vibrant. Turbos are fantastic mufflers. I'll try to get videos of the one we just finished posted.

alternatively a C60 swap with the taller highway gear would help get the revs down and cut back on the drone.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Also, it could have something to do with the tires and/or the TRD header. But all of the above are worth consideration. My Remus on a 2ZZ with the LR swap header is no problem at all.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Personally I don't care much about listening to music with the top down going at speed. I would try some sound deading material first. You could have someone wrap the exhaust cannister with fiberglass and SS welded again but that would cost more. A OEM exhaust would probably solve the problem but even more $$$. Headphones are a really bad idea, pay attention to driving instead.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Kaustein is right, if driving fast enough, you can actually break away from the resonant waves from the muffler and outrun your sound (the reverse Doppler theory), becoming quieter than a Prius at a stoplight . . . it's science . . . not really, I am just being sarcastic.
Really is quieter. At cruising rpms, the car is quieter versus acceleration rpms. And at cruising speed the noise is behind you, less noticeable.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Or you can just add "quiet car" sound deadning material to kill the drone at freeway speeds. They work great
No cost: Put 1 or 2 big old comforters in the storage compartments, huge difference.

Twice the difference if you bog big $ and go hardtop. Also no chassis flex, feels like a new car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, guys, for some good advice. I going to pursue the idea of installing sound-insulation between the passenger compartment and the engine compartment. Interesting point was made about reduced droning when the top is down. I never thought about it before, but it is true. BTW, I don't think I will be stuffing comforters in the bins behind the seats. There is little enough storage space as it is.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Practical and pleasing both start with the letter "P" but often don't have much in common.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts