MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to break my silence. My 2000 spent the last 3-4 years dying the slow painful death many other early 1zz's have gone through. About a year and a half ago on my usual drive to work I spun a bearing (the second time it had happened) due to oil starvation. By then I was just pouring oil in at every gas up and I forgot a few times. Whatever... it was time to bite the bullet. I had just bought a house and was still getting my garage renovated to be more car-friendly, so I went out and got a '90 civic for a beater and parked the spyder in the driveway. The motivation to finish the garage was perfect because not two weeks later I was ready to roll her in, but first, a good wash and wax.

That's the civic next to it. It got cleaned the day before so it looks nice and shiny.

I tried a new product and was quite happy with the results

All prettied up and ready to go into her new garage

I was liking how deep the paint looked after her cleaning. The car has never looked this good and I was really happy trying out that new stuff.

Stupidly I forgot which was the business end when I pulled the car in. Sadly by the time I was able to get around to turning it around the battery was dead so a friend and I had to do it manually in the driveway. Boy that was interesting... Anywhoo, all turned around and up on stands I could get to work.

Here's a shot of one of the ways oil was disappearing

Mind you this was my fist time dropping an engine so armed with the BGB I was taking my pretty sweet time and double-checking everything.

All fluids drained, everything disconnected and unplugged I got her hooked to the lift. Just the mounts are attached at this point

I used a chain when the time came, the straps were to make sure it didn't swing about or anything. I was very nervous doing this. Finally I threw an engine pulling party with my friends (none of whom had done this either) and after 4 hours and a few bloody knuckles later and we had it on the ground and rolled out.

Whew

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally I was able to get a replacement 1zz out of a rear-ended 03 corolla with 130k miles (20k less than the one I took out).

So for the past few weeks in my free time, what little I have, I have been swapping over all the necessary parts. Got the dipstick tube and new dipstick, fuel rail, passenger side mount, 1 wire knock sensor and other things already on. I ran into a big snag when I got around to putting this bad boy on.

The original engine naturally had the prerequisite holes to bolt it to the crankcase

However the new one does not seem to have them

I figure I have three things I can do. I can swap out the crankcases which would be a ton of work, drill and tap the necessary holes which would be delicate and risky, or find an axle that doesn't have an intermediate shaft and try and run that.

Rightly stumped, I turn to my fellow spyderchatlinins to see if there are other options or for any advice.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Drill and Tap..

Cap

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
Drill and tap is the way to go and pretty standard when swapping in an engine from other than a Spyder.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have no authority on which to speak regarding the engine, I'm just glad to see that you are still around. Get that car ready for SADAS. Good to hear from you!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drill and tap it is, then. Thankfully I have a drill and some good bits but will need to get a tap set. Thanks for helping with that headache.

Karthwyn, it is good to see I was missed. I had been lurking here and there but was too depressed to post anything until I had something worth posting. I would love to have this back on the road and squared away in time for SADAS, but no matter how much I want to go cash flow has been more like a trickle for almost a year and I doubt I could even afford the downtime.

Any suggestions on removing a broken bolt? One of the transmission bolts broke when I was removing it. I can grab a picture if it would help.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Welcome back, I think I remember you from the old days. Didn't your avatar use to be you wearing some kind of bird suit or something? Kinda think we used to be friends on Myspace.....boy that was long ago.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome back, I think I remember you from the old days. Didn't your avatar use to be you wearing some kind of bird suit or something? Kinda think we used to be friends on Myspace.....boy that was long ago.
Hahaha I forgot all about that picture.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
der dragon march 17

be there
You are seriously holding a car driving weekend on st patty's day? That's the last day I want to be behind a wheel

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
You are seriously holding a car driving weekend on st patty's day? That's the last day I want to be behind a wheel
Dont worry, usually plenty of drinking done AFTER the driving....

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm glad to see that you are getting the car back on the road. Do you work weekends? If it interrupts work, I understand, otherwise you only need to cover gas/food.
I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to camp in the area, or drive on to my mountain property (1½hr away). You are welcome to a spot on the floor there.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad to see that you are getting the car back on the road. Do you work weekends? If it interrupts work, I understand, otherwise you only need to cover gas/food.
I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to camp in the area, or drive on to my mountain property (1½hr away). You are welcome to a spot on the floor there.
What's a weekend? I work 2 jobs 7 days a week so every day feels like wednesday. The offers are tempting. Let's see if I can at least get the car up and running first. March is a long way off (at least for me) and a number of things can change between now and then.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
looks like a tensioner leak to me, why are you changing the entire engine?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts