MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is another 2GR swap. This is way out of my comfort zone so I thought I'd kind of document it. I've done bolt on stuff to my Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart but nothing to this extent. I have a buddy helping me who has experience with the gen 2 MR2s so that's helping me A LOT.

Here's the donor car found on Craigslist with a blown head gasket being loaded up to go home. It's got quite a few problems so this is going to be a long project.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light

Definitely has a blown head gasket. Anyone want some milkshake?
Food Ingredient Automotive tire Cuisine Dish

2GR from Ebay. Came out of an ES350 with about 85k miles. Hopefully it was driven by a grandma. I'm going to replace the spark plugs and coil plugs and send it.

Automotive tire Wood Plant Gas Motor vehicle

Here it is going onto the stand.

Wheel Tire Tractor Green Automotive tire

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picked up an EB60 from Facebook marketplace. While shopping for an EB60, I met another friend who is doing the 2GR swap.

That leads us to today. We discovered some nasty stuff in the EB60 while taking it apart for the reverse detent. The balls weren't sitting on top like that. I forgot to take a picture before messing with it.

Automotive tire Camera lens Gear Wood Camera accessory

Gear Bicycle part Wood Crankset Rim

Automotive tire Gear Rim Wheel Automotive wheel system

The gears look fine so we're going to clean it up, replace the bearings and seals, and see how it goes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be watching yours too now :p

I have a roller chassis that is going to be turned into a dedicated track build with a 2gr. I just pulled my 2gr out of a Camry yesterday at a pick n pull. My project is going to be probably a 2-3 year project though
Nice. I'm hoping to have the swap done by the spring. At least get it drive able by then. And then figure out what to do next. Brakes? Suspension? Etc. Eventually it'll all get done.
Nice! Where in Co are you?
I'm near the springs. Maybe I'll see you at the track whenever I'm done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would swap the water pump as well…it would be a pretty shitty job in the car.

looks good though. Going to be a cool build.
I'm going to swap it on my 2nd 2GR engine. That one is going to be a full rebuild. 1st 2GR is kind of a placeholder and will let me drive it and get used to it while I build the higher HP engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, got a partial refund for the tranny. So if the rebuild works then this transmission is a steal. If not, then it is humbling and expensive lesson learned. Ordered the EB62 6th gear and a bunch of seals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I debated if I should post this or not cause I know this is probably not advised and a lot of people would say it is wrong. But this forum seems pretty cool and supportive so far.

This is how I'm cleaning the gears from metal shavings. I bought a bunch of vegetable oil and put it in a container with an aquarium pump I had laying around. Then put a strong ass magnet on the outside of the container.

Fluid Rectangle Automotive lighting Gas Food storage containers

It's definitely ghetto but it seems to be getting the job done.

Wood Material property Tints and shades Pattern Symmetry

And about 10 minutes later.

Amber Wood Fluid Rectangle Material property

Ordered some nylon brushes so I can get a little scrubbing action into the mix but they won't be here till Thursday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts