MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Another new MR2 Spyder owner here. Bought it yesterday, after obsessing about owning a convertible again (miata and mustangs in the past).

2000 with only 47K well-loved miles. stock everything in perfect condition. pics below.

i've been enjoying reading all the threads. thanks for sharing so much info. the only mods i have planned are new leather seats and restoring (or replacing) the headlight lenses.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Welcome! Nice color choice, and glad to hear that the pre-cats are taken care of.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes.

Not sure where slugtown is, i'm in pittsburgh. The car spent the first 7 years of its life somewhere in ohio (carfax isn't handy at the moment) then the remainder here.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nice!
Did you read the threads on reconditioning the headlight lenses? Note lenses cannot be replaced, but a whole new housing can be purchased. I'm 99.99% sure you don't need new ones. You either need:
  • A DIY light polish (keeps the UV layer)
  • A DIY heavy polish (requires maintenance because no UV layer remains)
  • A DIY wet-sand and repaint paint with UV layer
  • A paint shop to polish and clear coat for you.
To find threads on this try keywords like "lightright" or search on thread titles for "headlight"

sample: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?47181-Headlight-lenses

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice!
Did you read the threads on reconditioning the headlight lenses? Note lenses cannot be replaced, but a whole new housing can be purchased. I'm 99.99% sure you don't need new ones. You either need:
  • A DIY light polish (keeps the UV layer)
  • A DIY heavy polish (requires maintenance because now UV layer remains)
  • A DIY wet-sand and repaint paint with UV layer
  • A paint shop to polish and clear coat for you.
To find threads on this try keywords like "lightright" or search on thread titles for "headlight"

sample: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?47181-Headlight-lenses
Thanks. Yes i did read that. Right now it is a toss-up between the bodyshop option or ordering entirely new ones. I will have to get an estimate from the bodyshop, but i see i can order new ones for around 300.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes.

Not sure where slugtown is, i'm in pittsburgh. The car spent the first 7 years of its life somewhere in ohio (carfax isn't handy at the moment) then the remainder here.
This place is slug town. If the pre cats are gone, it is likely the former owner(s) frequented this place.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This place is slug town. If the pre cats are gone, it is likely the former owner(s) frequented this place.
i suppose it is possible. owner number 2 had it for less than a year. said he 'had to' sell it.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Misses whats to know how the Veegann thing went?
It went. On day 21 of the vegan challenge I sampled some delicious bean soup at work only to find it was laced "jol bacon."
What the hell is jol bacon? It's jowel bacon as in hog face. So I lost the vegan challenge and I have been off the wagon ever since. I just finished a very nice filet mignon, thank you very much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It went. On day 21 of the vegan challenge I sampled some delicious bean soup at work only to find it was laced "jol bacon."
What the hell is jol bacon? It's jowel bacon as in hog face. So I lost the vegan challenge and I have been off the wagon ever since. I just finished a very nice filet mignon, thank you very much.
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

·
Registered
138 Posts
Still a favorite of mine...

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
For now, just some very light polishing compound and a buffer will do wonders to the lights. It will clear them up until you decide permanently what you are going to do. What part of Pittsburgh?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That's about how long I made it once. It was imposed on me by plaintiff number two, not my choice, but I tried. Then one day I drove down a street that had several hamburger joints.....Fork this sheet!

I mean, look at how dumb a cow is. It deserves to be turned into steaks & hamburgers. We are actually doing it a favor. :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For now, just some very light polishing compound and a buffer will do wonders to the lights. It will clear them up until you decide permanently what you are going to do. What part of Pittsburgh?
thanks for the suggesstion. i'm going to order new ones from toyota today. the price isn't bad. i live on the north side of PGH (don't like to get too specific on a public board).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts