MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[/IMG]
Initial photo after some clean-up

Hello SC forum members. I bought a 2000 spyder a couple months ago as an inexpensive track day project car. I think I probably saved it from the scrap yard and reduced the spare parts availability for everyone else. The car is pretty good mechanically and it's structurally sound. The body has some dings and rash, but nothing serious. I drove it home from Louisville, KY to SE Ohio with no issues, other than an occasional puff of smoke when transitioning between off-throttle to on-throttle. I've flushed the engine to remove deposits and added some engine honey, which has helped immensely with the oil consumption. I think I'm burning maybe a quart per 1000 miles, but the engine seems to run strong; so I'll just drive it like this till it dies. The car already had some performance modifications; strut tower braces, front member brace, lowering springs, slotted/drilled rotors, and cold air intake; this has saved me some on initial out of pocket. While in KY (on day 1), I bought a few other things from XBiker to get started; different tires, Corky's MSMB, some interior bits, etc... I've been out on a couple runs with Rampage (my big Brother) and I'm impressed by the fun factor; the power isn't overwhelming, but I still have to slow down to get around the corners (so I think it's fast enough for now). I've decided that this won't be a pure track car, since the roads here in SE Ohio are so much fun. I intend to slowly improve the car, without destroying its streetability, which the wifey likes; and I've been that route before with my 2nd generation Camaro. I'm currently in the middle of a Hard Dog rollbar installation for the track days. I've got to get rid of the RC antennae! :lol:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't updated this thread since starting it; I thought it was lost. Anyhow, here's the updates.

I installed a Corky's MSMB (no pic) and I bolted the roll bar in. While the plastics were out, I added some sound deadening.

[/IMG]

I installed a 5 point racing harness. The lap belt is tied to the seat belt anchor point on the left and the seat track mounting bolt on the right. The shoulder harness is wrapped on the Hard dog crossbar. The crotch strap is an inverted Y type and is anchored to the rear seat track bolts (left and right).

[/IMG]

I cleaned and painted the brake calipers (Red) and got rid of the RC car antenna in favor of a LT shorty. The butt dyno verifies that the car is faster now with the red calipers, combined with reduced drag from the antenna.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Next projects are SS brake lines, a new racing seat, and a front lip spoiler.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just sharing; Burrrrr!

[/IMG]

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,832 Posts
Looks good little brother. Too bad we did not take a picture of it the first time we saw it. It looked like it had one foot in the grave. I can verify that the car is quick and pulls hard for a NA 1ZZ. It has already come a long way and I have no doubt that in short order it will be one of the better looking examples on the forum.

Did you see that the high temperatures next Tuesday are supposed to be -4 degrees? That is the day I head down to Florida with a truck full of Cam's stuff. Three days ago, I drove my Spyder because it was 47 degrees. Winter sucks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you see that the high temperatures next Tuesday are supposed to be -4 degrees? That is the day I head down to Florida with a truck full of Cam's stuff. Three days ago, I drove my Spyder because it was 47 degrees. Winter sucks!
Put your Bright White in the back of the truck too. You could be a Warmee for a day! Winter sucks, but it forces us to wrench on our cars when we can't drive them. I gotta add those yellow injectors before my next drive too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Added "ebay special" race seat

Installed a cheap vinyl covered racing seat (not sure who manufactures this), with a Corbeau mounting bracket. The Racequip 5 point harness bolts to existing mounting points with the antisubmarine strap routed between the seat bottom and seat back (sit-on method). The shoulder harness is wrapped on the Harddog and routes at a proper angle through openings in the seat back. The OEM belt is still usable on the street (when not using the race harness). For track use, I'll insert a dummy male end into the OEM seat belt latch to extinguish the seat belt warning and enable the airbag.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's looking good. Small and steady is the way to go..

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's spring(ish) here in Florida. ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fresh struts

New rear brake calipers, OEM pads all around, and replaced the tired old struts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now with a Hardtop

Installed a hardtop today. I kept the soft top for those days when I just want to go topless, but don't want to get rained on.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts