MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long time lurker first time poster, heres my solar yellow MR2 Spyder I picked up a little over a year ago. I decided to do the exact opposite of what most people do and add stuff to the car rather than take stuff out, and basically put it together as if I ordered it this way from the factory.

Before: The car was just sitting in a garage for 10 years before I bought it, basically came from a family who needed larger cars and had to get rid of this thing.

I ended up removing all the covers and vacuuming the car out then it looked like this.

Which gave me a solid base to start putting together the car I've been picturing in my head while reading the brochure.

After about a month I had already replaced the cluster with a much nicer to look at JDM 180km/h cluster, sourced some original yellow door fabric to make my own inserts with, added the yellow shifter surround and the optional Toyota Aqua navi, as I always wanted a lighter colored radio and not anything that required those ugly plastic fillers american double DIN units have to use. The car pretty much sat like this until last month when I started unloading a barrage of parts I had hoarded over the year.
Which leads us to this...

After:

The exterior (for now) is relatively unchanged, just removed all the Toyota badging from the wheels and body itself, along with the optional gas cap garnish, and without taking pics of my currently dusty engine bay I got rid of my (thankfully) in tact pre-cats by just junking that whole thing altogether and getting a PPE manifold with a catalytic converter, as well as replacing the oem airbox with a CAI from AEM, just for the noise lol.

The interior again is where most of this cars party tricks lie, I replaced just about everything visible here with newer, or new old stock parts or just straight up OEM options we didnt get here (Thanks Toyota). Starting with the wheel & shift knob, for those GC8 enthusiasts they will know what these are. Nardi branded this steering wheel for STI model Imprezas in japan but this one was one of the unbranded ones commissioned by retailer FET Power Craft in 2000, paired up with a Works Bell short boss and Rapfix II it's the nicest looking OEM+ wheel I could find. The shift knob is much in the same as it is actually an optional Subaru pivot "Ballerina" shift knob attached to a C's short shifter finished with a brand new OEM shift boot.

We now move onto the "Color Item" wind deflector a very rare piece I had a friend rescue from a parts bin in Japan for me, I pretty much wanted one from the second I saw a picture of it in a review of the car from 1999. The car also has the Optional MR-S floor mats, the V-Edition scuff plates (although I do switch these out for the S-Edition optional ones from time to time...), and the "Aluminum Item" package HVAC, cluster panel and handbrake as well as JDM visors & column surround.

...And it doesn't stop there.

The little red button you see on the dash is the OEM push start system, read many a thread on here and even got flamed on the facebook group for buying one let alone installing it, to each their own I guess lol. So remember the door inserts I made, they didnt look good once I started adding more things to the interior, stains from adhesive and oil had made them blotchy and just ugly to look at so these are now actual OEM yellow cloth doors I had imported this week and make the car look brand new again.

A close up of the navi and the deceptively rare non smokers ashtray option, if you know anything about Hondas this is Toyota's equivalent to the "Personal Box"
As you can see the navi has been changed to something a little older but still fits my requirements of it has to fit properly and not be ugly, this optional 2009 Corolla AXiO 2 DIN did the trick, it even lights up amber to match the rest of the lighting in the car.

And moving to the back we have something I didn't actually know I wanted till I saw them pop up, when I was going through the Japanese brochure there was this tiny image of the storage doors with these weird purple pads on them I never thought much of it till I read it and they were part of a package that came with a combo MiniDisc & 6 CD Changer audio deck and these speakers. These were kind of a hard sell for me since this car was missing the rear storage doors because of a terribly installed subwoofer (that was never actually plugged in lol), and it took me nearly half a year to find original replacements, I eventually got over it and decided to buy the whole package, and only these survived after having the head unit show up damaged from poor packaging. But the speakers work incredibly well, a huge improvement in sound overall and you get to keep the storage space, there's zero downsides to these. Hell even the install was just as easy as routing cables and plugging it into the back of the head unit.

And with all that rambling the car's interior is finally finished save for a few things I am waiting on, I'll probably update this thread once I get the exterior finished sometime in the future.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The little red button you see on the dash is the OEM push start system, read many a thread on here and even got flamed on the facebook group for buying one let alone installing it, to each their own I guess lol.
Don't worry there's no shortage of flamers here on Spyderchat... that's why we all bought the car in the first place.

Btw I really dig that steering wheel. Is it easily obtainable?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Don't worry there's no shortage of flamers here on Spyderchat... that's why we all bought the car in the first place.

Btw I really dig that steering wheel. Is it easily obtainable?
Fairly uncommon to find the FET version theres something like 800 or so made but it shares the base wheel with the Impreza version I mentioned and the NA Roadster optional wheel, just different horn rings which are way more common just a little pricy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I figured its time to update this post.

The most obvious change, the steering wheel, no the Nardi 2000 isnt for sale, but I did get it sent to be reupholstered.
This new wheel is an italvolanti Luciano Maestri BRIO D-Type, I only know of one other in the US and have only seen maybe two pop up on Yahoo Auctions in the past 12 or so years. A worthy replacement, and it matches my interior.

I recently acquired a navicover for a literal 5th of the cost people want them for in America (which like...why is it that much? not one person has ever gotten any use out of it in the history of this cars existence in the us.) Installed it with a Panasonic Gorilla standalone navi, I would have gone with the original DVD navi but none have ever come up for sale and I really don't want to risk sending over 20 year old electronics. The Panasonic unit is honestly a perfect fit, the brightness sensor and warning lights fit perfectly on the cut out the original Toyota screen uses, so back to storage that screen goes.

Other cool thing thats been added is a ZOOM engineering Monaco 240 mirror, got tired of the big ass broadway and the optional mr-s mirror is quite literally just a cover for the oem one. This one has the same viewing angle as those convex clip ons, is made with blue tinted glass, and color matched to the car, reasonably priced if you buy directly from ZOOM in japan.

The last and arguably the most subtle of the things is the oem footlamp assembly, an increasingly rare option that can in its original form only be applied to RHD cars only. I had to modify the harness to make this work on a LHD car. Works when the doors are open to illuminate the footwells, and fades in 8 seconds out after the doors are closed as per the manual.

I know its not as exciting as most the peoples cars on here but the dream of owning a fully optioned out mr-s is getting closer and closer with each new box that arrives to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting shroud/cover/fairing on the center mirror... never seen that before. Definitely like that steering wheel.
Its supposed to mimic the functionality and look of the Ferrari f50 mirror where it'll give you the full range of view and automatically block out the passengers with its shape. Pretty interesting concept.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts