MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from hanging out with a buddy, I managed to drive 35 miles home, and about 2 miles from my house, I fell asleep behind the wheel striking another vehicle. Luckily for all involved no injuries, but it looks to me like the Spyder was totaled. I put my love, my blood, my sweat and my life into that car and even in the end it kept me safe. I'll see if I can snap some pictures today when I get to the shop to pick up my personal possessions from the car...wish I could yank all my aftermarket hardware off of it...never a good day.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Im sorry to hear but the most important thing is you walked away from it. Alot of us on here are very invested in our spyders, specially emotionally. I can understand how you feel, i spot a new scratch and i freak out :lol:

Try get some pics up. U could always pull your parts off and get another spyder

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Glad you all walked away from the accident! i hate driving home when im fatigue.. never a good thing. rip those parts out, buy another spyder from insurance money, slap the parts back on. start fresh :)

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Very sorry to hear. I'm glad you weren't hurt. I've driven home after night shifts very tired. Sometimes I'll sleep at the job after the shift just to be able to drive home. There's a 4500 mile Spyder on Ebay in yellow that might interest you. It's a 2001 and is $12,900. It's likely priced on the high side, but you can't beat 4500 miles- it's got a black leather interior as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...Cars_Trucks&hash=item4603c49354#ht_500wt_1021

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
On the way home from hanging out with a buddy, I managed to drive 35 miles home, and about 2 miles from my house, I fell asleep behind the wheel striking another vehicle. Luckily for all involved no injuries, but it looks to me like the Spyder was totaled. I put my love, my blood, my sweat and my life into that car and even in the end it kept me safe. I'll see if I can snap some pictures today when I get to the shop to pick up my personal possessions from the car...wish I could yank all my aftermarket hardware off of it...never a good day.
glad you walked away unscathed... keep your hopes up, you can always get another one!!!

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,859 Posts
Hey, I am glad you and the other people are OK. The Spyder can be replaced. If the insurance company totals the car they may let you buy it back for salvage and you can part it out. If you decide not to get another Spyder then the FR-S is looking pretty good if a new car is in your price range. I am glad I got to see your car before the end. Take care.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! the shop it got towed to opens at 9, so I have another 40 minutes to kill. Haven't talked to them yet about letting me pull parts but I'm not holding my breath. The old girl can never be replaced, but I will be getting another spyder. I'm thinking 2zz. I saw one in Ohio this morning...I may be making another trip out to Columbus Rampage, so I guess we'll have to see.

As for the falling asleep, yeah it was probably stupid, I ca be the first to admit that. I didn't think I was that tired to begin with. I dropped the top and kept the heat off, going off the assumption that the cool air would keep me awake if drifting DID happen. My allergies also kicked into high gear, so I'm guessing that was probably a big contributor. You live, you make mistakes, you learn. As soon as I get to the shop, pics will be forthcoming.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thanks guys! the shop it got towed to opens at 9, so I have another 40 minutes to kill. Haven't talked to them yet about letting me pull parts but I'm not holding my breath.
Matt - Sorry to hear about the accident.. but glad you're okay. It's amazing how much punishment these little cars can take while letting the driver/passenger walk away shaken but unharmed.

Removing aftermarket parts from a totalled car has been discussed somewhere on the forum in the past. IANAL, so please do not take my opinion as professional legal advice. Based on the discussion, there was a consensus that you shouldn't feel guilty about pulling off aftermarket parts prior to the car being assessed by the adjuster given that most standard auto insurance policies specifically exclude cover aftermarket parts and you're not receiving any credit for them towards your claim.

Rich

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got to the tow agency, got my stuff outta the car. And I rescued my vizor plugs, lol. Got some pictures taken, I'll get to them in a minute. On the other side of things, I had an interesting conversation with the lady who's handling my claim. I asked her about the aftermarket parts. She said the cost of the aftermarket is actually figured into the payout that I'll receive if the car gets totaled. Which basically means I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the phone negotiating. Oh well. On to the horror.

My poor girl.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
After all is said and done you could buy the car back. It doesn't look too bad. It could easily be fixed and its pretty mint front doors back. I've bought one car back and it was about a thousand they wanted.

·
Registered
126 Posts
After you see what the insurance says, and if ur not interested in buying it back, please Lmk. Id be interested in it if it is fairly low mile. If.you had to be the buyer, I could do that too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ouch, that looks painful! I am so glad that you were able to walk away from this w/o anyone being seriously injured. If you decide to put her back together and you need some parts, I have two OEM front wheels and a right passenger headlight that came off of my 2003 Spyder. If they will fit, you pay the shipping and I will send them to you.

Good luck and best wishes.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Glad your okay number one. I learned a long time ago working late shifts and driving 65 miles back home that its better to pull over in a rest area and take a nap. Its not worth killing yourself or someone else.

On a side note airbags deployed=totaled

I'll take the black bezel and any dash blanks you may have. :xmas-smiley-016:

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Also I read somewhere that falling asleep while driving was the number two killer and accident causer behind drunk driving.

Dibs on softtop if you buy back for parting. :lol:

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
When he was about 25, my older brother fell asleep at the wheel once and woke up in a hospital. He was banged up pretty badly and had been lying in a hospital bed for a few days before he called home to tell Mom and Dad. Turns out the cause of him drifting off to sleep was that it was 3AM and he was driving home from a bar. Makes more sense now. As for me, I never fell asleep from being drunk (which would have been when I was a stupid teenager), but I have caught myself nodding off for a moment (head droop... jerk awake) when I hadn't had a drop, but was just too tired to be driving. It can definitely kill you and take a few other people with you.

You can replace the car. It is just a possession. The important thing is that you are alive to tell the tale. Thank you for doing that. We all share a passion for these little roadsters. Be safe out there, y'all.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the well wishes guys! Yeah, as embarrassing as it was to wreck the thing, I always feel it's important to admit mistakes. You never know who can read these things and say to themselves...I do that all the time...damn...despite how embarrassing it can be.

Side note. If they offer to sell me the salvage for a grand, I'll do it in a heart beat and and probably part her out. Yes, she's repairable, but she just wouldn't be the same to me. Probably doesn't make ANY sense at all, but it is how I feel. we had alot of great memories, now it's time for a new beginning.

Can anyone say 2zz spyder?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess my insurance company got my car Monday afternoon. Called them Tuesday to see if they wanted my aftermarket parts list but had to leave a message. Still haven't heard back from my adjuster, not real reassuring. I'll call them again this afternoon, see if I have any better luck getting an update.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the insurance has had the car since monday and hasn't done anything with it yet. I was told it MIGHT get looked at tomorrow or Tuesday. Mind you I had to contact a secretary, not my adjuster. They're probably just busy, and it's not their fault, but damn...accidents suck :p guess I'll be taking more naps before driving from now on.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm not an expert on this but it looks like it has some serious frame damage. I sure hope it's salvageable and you can upgrade.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd say money's against it being salvageable :p With both air bag deployments I'm guessing they're going to total it, but I'll take whatever they throw at me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts