MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 04 Spyder. 10,000 original miles with unfortunately original tires.
I have overloaded myself with tire/wheel threads , so many of them quite old.
TO maintain the 15/16s , is anyone having any luck with tires? Any suggestions for what is available on the market today.
Aftermarket wheels 15/16 that resemble OEM?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Beautiful car and family!

Most of the "stock" or close to stock tire sizes will leave you wanting something else... so I opted for 17's all the way around. You can stagger the profiles and width at your own peril. These wheel wells have plenty of room, but if you go bigger you'll want to lower it some.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
If you don't have the need to race Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 tires are available in 185/55r15 and 205/45r16 which is a very close fit. Those widths are equal to the early spyder. I use 15" wheels with 195/50 front and 205/50 rear and enjoy spirited driving without issue. Bigger wheels weigh more and larger diameter tires tend to cost more.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
185/55R15 (stock size) or 195/55R15 will work in the front they are both pretty common. 205/50 can work too.

For the rear, 215/45R16 is the stock size but it is rare. You can use 205/45, 225/45 or even 225/50.

I run 205/50R15 front and 225/50R16 rear there is decent selection. Continental extremecontact sport would be good tires for normal use.

I see you are in Canada - looks like west coast?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
We run 16" all around and just switched to Yokohama Advan Fleva 701 in 195/45-16 and 205/45-16. They work very well for street and spirited driving. They ride better and are quieter than the S-Drives we had on previously, but seem to stick as well or better, with a very solid steering response. We don't drive in the rain, but all test reports suggest the Fleva are very good in the rain.

As mentioned, the OEM 215/45-16 size is very hard to find and then match with a front in a usable size in the same tire. So you have to compromise either in the front size, the rear, or both. We had run a 215 on the back which isn't available anymore, but the 205 seems to have very similar feel and traction. The 195/45-16 is dimensionally very close to the 195/50-15.

The stock wheels are fairly light compared to most aftemarket wheels and will work fine unless you want to change tire size or want a different look. If you are running stock wheels on a 2003-2005, a common combination is 195/50-15 front and 205/45-16 rear. They are probably the closest to the OEM size. You don't need oversize tires for normal street use.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I suggest 185/55 for the front and 205/50 for the rear. They will put the speedo dead on, and they are available in several makes and styles. I think that they are the closest match to original size that you can find. I use Kumho PA31 all season in the winter, but there are also summer options. Don't rely on Tire Rack's size selector. It will not show you sets that fit, even if they exist. You need to search out matched sets yourself.

If you want extreme summer tires, I suggest 195/55 and 225/45. They also give you correct speed, and they have so much traction that they will make your head spin. However, they wear quickly, and they have to be kept indoors for the winter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just keep the stock 16x7 rears and run a pre-facelift set of rears (15x6.5) on your front.
225/45r16 rear
205/50r15 front
ez, half price wheel upgrade and all OEM.
I run this same setup and size on mine, I couldnt find a set of OEM 16s, so I found some Enkei RP02 in 16x7 which look very close to stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are exactly the answers I was looking for. Locally someone is selling a set of OEM 15 inch wheels 15x6 and 15/6.5 . Seems like it would be worth it to get them and put the 16.5 on the front.
Thanks again everone
Kim

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to me 04 Spyder. 10,000 original miles with unfortunately original tires.
I have overloaded myself with tire/wheel threads , so many of them quite old.
TO maintain the 15/16s , is anyone having any luck with tires? Any suggestions for what is available on the market today.
Aftermarket wheels 15/16 that resemble OEM? View attachment 82276

Thanks
I have the same car you do...except mine has a LOT more miles :) Like you, I was lost in wheel/tire threads for days until my head would explode. Finally, I took pwnzor's advice for wheels and tires... now running 17's all around. Wider on the back. Looks and drives great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Kathy,

I found going "square" was a nice practical option these are the rims and tires I used and No modifications needed:

Walmart
Accelera Phi-R 215/45ZR16 215/45R16 90W XL A/S High Performance Tire

Discount Tire
16 X7 4-100.00/108.00 42 BKMTXX Item# 61240

·
Registered
2002 MR2 Spyder 1zz
87 Posts
I'm in love with my Kumho Ecsta PA31 tires. 185 front 205 rear, 15 all around. I bought him with Toyo Extensa HPII 195 all around and they absolutely sucked; I had thought they were great on dry pavement but now I realize how crappy they were, now that I have a set that's actually good. I'm taking the same turns at an extra 20-25% speed and it feels so grippy and solid.
My main concern, though, was wet driving. I can't tell you how many times that car just slid on wet roads - my apartment complex exit is on a slight downhill slope and I wound up just sliding down the hill and into the road, pulled out once when I thought it wasn't too wet and just went sideways into the middle lane, even put it on a curb the first time I made an unsuspecting U turn in the rain. Got to the point that I was terrified to drive in the rain, even in other vehicles. But these tires are super solid in the rain; I made an hour trip on major highways + city driving during a torrential downpour and didn't feel a hint of lack of traction or anything.
Plus I can't argue with $437 out the door for the set mounted and balanced and everything, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also looking for stock sized (185/55/15 & 215/45/16) premium tyres. After searching the premium tyre makers’ websites in Australia, the following tyres were the only ones listed in both those sizes.
Michelin Pilot 3, Energy XM2+
Continental ContiPremiumContact 2
Bridgestone Turanza
Pirelli Cinturato P1, P7

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
On the later models, many people are going to 195/50-15 front and 205/45-16 rear as tires in OEM sizes are pretty limited in most markets. Every market around the world is different, but in North America our options are very limited

·
Registered
'02 6 spd Manual (C66)
419 Posts
If you ever feel the need to get aftermarket wheels, just do something like 15x7 +35 with 205 50 15 and you won't have to worry about getting tires. 205 50 is pretty common. Running Continental Extreme Contact Sport and been dailying for 4 yrs now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking @ some of the suggestions, particularly the stockish suggestions from rmeller and beachbum, for a potential 2004 or 2005 Spyder. On TireRack there are the following sets:
205 45 16 / 195 50 15
205 50 16 / 185 55 15
...but, they are All Season Grand Touring - is there much of a performance hit with All Season Grand Touring over All Season High Performance? Are there any All Season High Peformance sets in these sizes at other retailers? Lastly, are there handling or safety concerns w/going Square?

I am looking for tires for spirited weekend and occasional daily driving on the road.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Don't look T the category of tire....its artificial. Instead look at reviews of handling, longevity, road noise, wet handling, etc. It helps to realize these reviews are biased as the type of person to buy an all season over a UHP Summer tire probably doesn't drive anywhere near the limit....once you realize that its pretty easy to pick a decent tire regardless of "category".

The above advice works more for a daily/often street driven scenario....Definitely not for forcused HPD. In HPD heat cycling makes a huge difference

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I use UHP summer tires and change to AS Kumho Ecsta PA31 in cold weather. Similar sizes, there is a distinct difference and for spirited driving I prefer a summer tire. I prefer the OEM staggered setup and have had no problems finding 15" tires. The ADVAN Fleva V701 is available in a 16" tire that works well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts