MR2 SpyderChat banner

Another Toyota In The Stable--Doing My Part To Stimulate The Economy:)

1K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  tecaholic2 
#1 ·
I have wanted an FJ Cruiser since they first came out... they are the polar opposite of the Spyder, but I love the rugged utilitarian nature of this thing... I just drove it home:)

See less See more
#4 ·
So sexy! Nice work
Thanks, but I should admit that I didn't do any of the work:) PO painted the wheels, and did nerf bars, and a few small mods. I'm sure I will have to do a few things to it, but I'm not going to go crazy and put ridiculous tires on it or anything--this is going to be my daily driver for awhile.

#3 ·
Looks like you have the TRD wheels, but the TRD versions have black tops. Maybe stockers painted black? I had an FJ too, but my wife really hated it, so I sold it. It's shaped like a brick so it sucks gas. FYI, despite the Premium fuel warning on the gas gap, it runs perfectly ok on regular.

#6 · (Edited)
Looks like you have the TRD wheels, but the TRD versions have black tops. Maybe stockers painted black? I had an FJ too, but my wife really hated it, so I sold it. It's shaped like a brick so it sucks gas. FYI, despite the Premium fuel warning on the gas gap, it runs perfectly ok on regular.
Not TRD wheels--they are the 17" stockers painted black. I may black out all the silver stuff--leaving the roof white because this is Florida:) I did get the TRD exhaust on there--nice free mod! And I got the locking rear diff and ATRAC and all the fixins... I'm ready for the mileage, should be about what I got with my Colorado...

Fortunately, my wife loves the thing--we can pull out little camper with it; and after we took a trip over Engineer Pass in CO a few years back, she is a big fan of "wheelin".

#5 ·
Ahhh, warnings on an FJ. The fuel cap on my brothers 40(his first 'car') used to read "Use unleaded gasoline or alcohol stronger than 120 proof ONLY".

An FJ40 is mean enough... an FJ40 drunk on cheap tequila is outright ornery.

#8 ·
I like the Cruiser and would love to have one. Here is it's grandfather. This is a '66 FJ45, one ton Land Cruiser pickup that I restored and kept for several years, a very rare truck. It was the most kick-ass 4 wheel drive I've ever encountered.

#9 ·
I like the Cruiser and would love to have one. Here is it's grandfather. This is a '66 FJ45, one ton Land Cruiser pickup that I restored and kept for several years, a very rare truck. It was the most kick-ass 4 wheel drive I've ever encountered.

I always lusted after the FJ40's with the parallel rear seats, but that truck is REALLY COOL! I see you have her winched and ready for action. The top mount wipers are interesting--my FJ has traditional wipers, but there are three of them to accomodate the wide shallow windscreen. I love the sand color--I would have bought that color if I could have found a sand 4X4 in SoFlo--all the poseurs down here own two-wheel drive vehicles:huh: That's sacrilege, I would never own anything but a four-wheel-drive SUV. Otherwise, just buy a station wagon^_^

#11 ·
Had you bought *ANY* sportscar, I'd be glad for you.
But you didn't, and I'm not.

Wow OldMan, we're going to have to change your name to GrumpyOldMan:)

I have a sportscar. I also have a car that gets 30 mpg city / 36 mpg hwy. Now I have a car that will tow my trailer, haul my bikes, and go anywhere. Being from E TN, you should really try your hand at wheeling some time--you just might like it...

#12 ·
Tecaholic, I'm envious, very envious, of you getting to restore and drive an fj-45. IIRC those were one of the if not the first truck model Toyota imported into the US.

Mateo, like I said on FB, the new FJ's are pretty cool. I actually equate spirited driving to off-roading. It both takes driver skill and control, and ultimately showcases the driver's abilities as much as the vehicle's, especially in a close to stock trim.

#14 ·
Tecaholic, I'm envious, very envious, of you getting to restore and drive an fj-45. IIRC those were one of the if not the first truck model Toyota imported into the US.
Yes they were some of the first Land Cruisers that Toyota brought in. I've seen 1/2 ton FJ45's as early as 1964 here in the US. I'm not sure what was the first year here for those. To this day I've never seen another one ton besides the one I had. I've also owned Jeeps, and I have no doubt that my old FL45 would easily rip a Jeep half into. I used to occasionally take it to the Canadian River bed up in the Panhandle, there weren't very many other good places in that area to play. I would go out into the middle of the river and drive up and down and through all the hard places to freak out all the Ford and Chevy four wheelers because they couldn't do that. I never did get that truck stuck.

#16 ·
I guess this is the opposite end of the spectrum from a Prius:) My wife is driving our Scion, and she talked about trading it for a Prius at one time, but now I think she is waiting to see what that Hyundai Veloster turns out like. That really looks to be a cool little economical car. Those crazy Koreans are really starting to make some great stuff...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.