MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you're trying to disable the antanea, you should be able to remove the smaller plug from behind the head unit. It should be the one with the blue wire.

·
Registered
840 Posts
yep, blue wire. I cut it without having to remove anything.

Do people still listen to terrestrial radio?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solved. Thanks for the replys.

I disconnected power to the broken antenna motor by simply accessing under passenger back bin. Red power wire had disconnect already set up in-line. I simply unplugged. I never saw a relay. Red, blue and antenna wire together go to antenna through the back of the bin cabinet. At least this is how my 2001 is wired up. Simple and easy process. I just thought it was under the drivers back bin. Would have taken 10 -15 minutes otherwise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And, yes, I do switch to local news/traffic if accident(s)/weather etc ahead. Helicopters can see some things faster than your app! Local channel saved me a couple hours when interstate closed due to multiple fatalities etc a few weeks ago.
I was almost to the point of no choice but to sit on the freeway for 2-3 more hours.

Left the antenna up about a third before disconnecting power until I can install a stubby.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just unplugged the motor on the antenna itself. Just take off the right rear wheel and pull out the fender liner, it's right there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you are using your terrestrial radio, the stubby will be about as useful as plugging in your finger. If I recall the reception is best when the stalk is greater than 11". There is an amplitude function... If that is too large, I noticed a rental Mustang convertible and also a friends BMW Z3 each had shorter antenna. The Toyota pre-03 antenna base uses an M5 and needs about a 1" male post. I am not sure if Ford used M5 or 3/32. Both are convertibles and the antenna are small enough to be unobtrusive but seeing they are OE, I would presume the antenna are then large enough to actually make it useful. I have a LordTakuban stubby, but often consider up-sizing so that I can actually use the radio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts