MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
In my experience, the number one cause of "sway," which I assume is a term meant to describe a feeling of instability at speed when traveling in a straight line, is the condition of the tires. If they are in good condition and inflated to the correct pressure (28 psi front!, and 32 psi rear - overinfalted tires will make the car feel unsettlingly unstable at speed and almost every mechanic shop will overinflate them), then it is probably...

If you want more high speed stability in a straight line, start by looking at your alignment. Add a bit of toe in if necessary. Adding caster will help as well but that would involve changing bushings as it's not adjustable from the factory
This! You shouldn't be having stability problems at 90 mph. Some additional toe-in in the front and rear ought to make the car feel more trustworthy.

Some time in 2001, Toyota started equipping Spyders with a chin spoiler. If you don't have one, that's part of your problem. Without the spoiler, the car begins to wander at about 60mph.
This could also be a contributing factor, trailing behind the alignment. I added a OEM chin skirt and did notice the front end seemed to track a little more straight, wilth all else remaining equal.

I'd ignore any advice about putting aero pieces on the hood or the back of the car. An OEM spyder is not unstable at speed and you don't need to go modding it and making it look like a virginmobile to feel safe.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
See?! @Steve Miller

There is no pleasing everyone here.

To mé the world is a more fun place with as much different approaches/tastes as possible.

Back to the topic; You go ahead as yoú please. My suggestions are just that; suggestions. Very easy/cheap ones at that so you can trý and like it or not without breaking the piggy bank.

The wheel ´spats´ Old Man refers to are a perfect illustration of the huge effect of minor aero changes. You draw your own conclusions (y)

Have fun!!!!
I tease you in good fun. There are some older pictures of my first mr2 on here somewhere, which I began modding in my early 20’s, and predictably I made some questionable choices both aesthetically and functionally. Granted, not on the same level of disaster that is your set of decisions, but im sure there are plenty of opportunities to have some fun at my expense, on which I will join you if the ball gets rolling.

Don’t feel bad. I am very difficult to please. I can’t even manage it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts