MR2 SpyderChat banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
... a staggered build is generally for performance vehicles. How does the Spyder qualify as a performance vehicle, or perhaps, why didn't the Toyota engineers come up with a square build for Spyder?
In this case, the staggered tires are to compensate for the rear weight bias. Rear heavy cars are intrinsically unstable, and that needs to be compensated to make the car safe and drivable. There are other means of compensation: Tire pressures, alignment, sway bars all can contribute, but in my opinion, matching the tires to the load is the most natural, and the least likely to cause side effects. Bigger feet, bigger shoes. Some drivers like an unstable car, and some drivers are not put off by the rear end stepping out quickly. However, if spinning the car is not in your plans, I would recommend keeping the 2-3 cm stagger that Toyota fixed on. I had a mk1 for 30 years with the square tire setup, and the spyder is a vastly better handling car, particularly near the adhesion limit.

·
Registered
2001 1zz Spyder, ALFA Spider, BMW Z4, 02 Bugeye WRX
41 Posts
Well...I'm just trying to catch the Porsche's, BMW's, and Corvette's that pass me @100 mph and let them know that they are going too fast.

Wrt square build of the tires, seems the consensus of literature, at least what I have read, claims a staggered build is generally for performance vehicles. How does the Spyder qualify as a performance vehicle, or perhaps, why didn't the Toyota engineers come up with a square build for Spyder?
Its mid engined so it has lower polar moment = spins more easily all else the same. Toyota engineers probably over ruled by Toyota lawyers.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It is the rear weight bias that makes the car easy to spin. The low moment of inertia actually makes the car easier to recover from the adhesion limit. The car will respond more quickly, and it will require less lateral force from the tires to get the same response.

The tires have to produce lateral force for two different degrees of freedom. There is lateral acceleration, or cornering, and there is also angular acceleration, which is turning in and straightening out. During these two different stages of cornering, the forces add and subtract differently. Now if you consider a rear heavy car with the rear tires overloaded, you can figure out why it is easy to overcommit in a corner and why the car will spin at unexpected times. That is why you don't want to overload the rear tires unless you know what you are doing and can plan your line far enough ahead.

The three secrets of spyder handling are the long wheelbase, the low moment of inertia, and the staggered tires. The wheelbase is often overlooked, even though it is equally important to the moment of inertia. The spyder has the longest wheelbase of the mr2 series, even though it is shortest overall. The staggered tires are what allow you to snap the car straight after a corner, without the rear end plowing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you do choose to get sway bars, these are the best I've found. I had them myself. The adjustability really does help with dialing it in. You really can adjust oversteer/understeer with these. If you do, you also want to get upgraded l Iinks as well. Because the stock ones are a little flimsy. Now, this is not the end all and only way to handle things, but is one component in the larger plan.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If you do choose to get sway bars, these are the best I've found. I had them myself. The adjustability really does help with dialing it in. You really can adjust oversteer/understeer with these. If you do, you also want to get upgraded l Iinks as well. Because the stock ones are a little flimsy. Now, this is not the end all and only way to handle things, but is one component in the larger plan.
Not seeing a link for the sway bars.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Some time in 2001, Toyota started equipping Spyders with a chin spoiler. If you don't have one, that's part of your problem. Without the spoiler, the car begins to wander at about 60mph.

The part number is 76851-17070.
I installed mine with some humongous plastic rivets ("clips" in Toyota parlance) I found at ACE Hardware. They have 3/8" shafts and 1" heads. I don't know what ACE calls them, but they're in the plastic fastener section.
Ordered the "chin strap" yesterday; forgot to thank you for the tip. I'll post a pick when it's fastened. I got a 2 night 3 day trip from central MA to Geneva NY the week of 14 August so that'll be a nice road test.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Any chance you have a picture of it installed?
That was s'posed to read "I'll post a 'pic' when it's fastened." I blame my fat fingers. Anyhow, haven't received the spoiler yet, but I will definitely post a picture when it's in operation. Just checked my email, and the part is on backorder. Bummer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not seeing a link for the sway bars.
Sorry for the delay in response. I'll try again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Sorry for the delay in response. I'll try again.

Thanks much. Just got the front spoiler, part 76851-17070, shipped, need to get that installed then we'll go from there.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Spoilers work. It is the wings that have questionable utility. There is popular confusion as to which is which, and there are a lot of purely cosmetic appendages around that add to the confusion.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Spoilers work. It is the wings that have questionable utility. There is popular confusion as to which is which, and there are a lot of purely cosmetic appendages around that add to the confusion.
Semantics. What you call ´wing´ is an inverted air foil and aka spoiler 🤪 And yes some are intentionally functional, some not with a wide range in between.

Ah and the mythical ´balance´. Thát is better dubbed ´compromise´. Pick your choice and then add some throttle for a new balance 😎

Speaking of air foils, the whole ZZW300 is one. Hence lift at speed.

My car... well needs just a wee bit more rake still. Who needs top speed on the public road anyway? Traction and stability (as in keeping the course set by the steering input be that straight of bend) through... Interesting balance with a low moment of inertia rwd car 🤪

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
A wing provides downforce. A spoiler interrupts airflow for the purpose of controlling turbulence. That is the origin of the name "spoiler." A spoiler on the rear deck is usually to reduce drag. A spoiler in a different location is probably very specific to the airflow at that point. A fairing or air dam is just supposed to exclude the airflow from a certain space.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts