MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just killed an AGM battery from not driving it enough and charging it all sorts of wrong.

Anyway, has anyone found any new lithium batteries to try? I loved the Stinger battery Dev (paging Dev) recommended but it's way overpriced now.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I have an Antigravity too. Bonus feature it has a self-shutoff feature that protects it from parasitic drains. This one.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,170 Posts
I still like the Deka AGM battery. But definetly looking at Lithium options.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You moved to Colorado right? You can't use lithium iron phosphate in the winter without keeping it on a trickle charger. They cannot be charged at any significant rate below freezing without damage.

I can half-heartedly recommend the lithium titanate I got from "GTKPower" on Aliexpress (the cells weren't packed in the case well and it was missing a few Ah from its rating, but... there aren't many choices out there for that battery chemistry). It'll survive the winter no matter what you do to it, unlike all the LFP batteries described so far. You can also build your own (5x 20Ah cells with passive or active balancing is fine, you don't need low voltage cutoff which is very expensive for handling a car's starting current). I use it on my AM V8V, but had to add supercapacitors in parallel so the BMS wouldn't momentarily cause a bunch of electronics to lose power.

Here's an example (doesn't use SAE post terminals, you'll have get creative with some adapters): 121.87US $ 25% OFF|Grade A 12V 10Ah 20Ah LTO Lithium titanate battery pack for medical solar system UPS camera robot golf cart RV EV + 3A charger|Replacement Batteries| - AliExpress

I pointed a guy on 6speedonline to a BMS-less LiFePO4 from Moseworth on Aliexpress and he's happily using them in his R8 and Vantage, but he also lives in California... if that makes you feel better about using Aliexpress no-name batteries. At the end of the day the batteries all come from the same factories, and the rejects still work just with slightly less capacity.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I did move. Its actually more milder here overall? But maybe we have sharper extremes on some days.

Now I do have a trickle charger within reach to the car. Its the NOCO Genius 5 with a lithium 12v option which even states it can also do lithium iron.

The issue with messing with batteries and bms' for people who aren't too electronics savvy is it all seems so scary lol. You should "build" a few completed battery kits and offer it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was trying to stay below the 200 range that the Antigravity is at. I'm thinking either one of the 360cca antigravity ones or the 380ish cca stinger one which are both about $178 shipped. That should be more than enough cca's right since I remember using a Deka etx12 which was like 200 range ccas.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If you have a trickle charger then your LFP options are pretty broad, though preassembled packs with car terminals tend to be bigger than necessary for an old car with a small engine. You can find 40Ah packs everywhere for a little over 200 (before shipping) but that's overkill for a 4 cylinder engine.

This one is not a bad price, though it doesn't have balancing: LiFePO4 Prismatic Battery: 12.8V 20Ah (256Wh, 10C rate) (24.0) - UN38.3 Passed (DGR) The one with passive balancing on that page is $203 :/

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was reading about people adapting those LTO starter batteries from BMW i3 into different vehicles and have been trying to source one for several months at a good price.
They're extremely durable and lighter than lead acid by a significant amount. Because the cells are made by LG Chem, longevity should not be an issue like many run-of-the-mill lithium batteries from the aftermarket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts