MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Cloth wasn't standard on a Toyota MR2. I bought a real cloth for 540 with free shipping and had it professionally installed.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I bought a Gahh stayfast cloth top, it was about twice the price and quality was excellent. I also ordered an installation video specific to the spyder on E-bay. Installation was time consuming but the result was great, I definately like the look of cloth better than vinyl.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Still have my stock top and its in pretty good shape but I was just wondering what exactly is the appeal of cloth over vinyl? A few pros/cons would be appreciated

·
Registered
782 Posts
I like the cloth top due to the deep black look of it, makes the car look better especially a black car! As far as durability and permeability I'm not sure which is best, I liked my vinyl top but a rip had started on the bottom side.

·
Registered
371 Posts
A few pros/cons would be appreciated
They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you live in a colder climate cloth folds easier than vinyl. My top is like folding sheet metal when cold. Also vinyl is more prone to crack.

On the other hand, vinyl is more water resistant and does not need to be treated like canvas.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
My car sits when the snow flies, so for me it is appearance. I think cloth looks classier and somewhat understated. Vinyl when clean looks good, but shiny.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I chose vinyl and I'm starting to wish I chose cloth....specifically one with Sonnenland fabric. I went cheap and I wont go cheap again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm still trying to find out the difference in cloth and the german sonneland (sp?)

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Sonnenland:
Premium A5 German Sonnenland Canvas Convertible Top with Integrated Glass Window with Defroster
For: 2000-07 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Top
About Premium German Sonnenland Canvas/A5 German Sonnenland Canvas
-Original German made canvas used on Mercedes, Porsche and BMW.
-Longest lasting canvas top due to the abrasion resistance of the exterior canvas.
-Often known as "three-ply material", this construction has an acrylic or acrylic/polyester exterior cloth (the facing), an elastomeric or rubber combining film, and a backing (lining) cloth.
-Dobby (crosshatch) pattern backing.
-Richest looking canvas
-Comes with a 5 year manufacturer warranty.

Sonnendeck
Sonnendeck (Twillfast) Canvas Convertible Top with Integrated Glass Window with Defroster.
About Sonnendeck (Twillfast) Canvas
-American made canvas, true double texture topping like the Haartz Stayfast Canvas.
-Often known as "three-ply material", this construction has an acrylic or acrylic/polyester exterior cloth (the facing), an elastomeric or rubber combining film, and a backing (lining) cloth.
-Richer looking and more durable than Haartz Stayfast Canvas.
-Heavier inner lining than Haartz Stayfast Canvas.
-Comes with a 5 year manufacturer warranty

Stayfast
Haartz Stayfast Canvas Convertible Top with Integrated Glass Window with Defroster.
About Haartz Stayfast Canvas
-Has a canvas outer layer and a preshrunk cotton inner layer, the two are bonded with and separated by a butyl rubber core.
-This core makes it a premium choice over any vinyl topping.
-Richer looking than vinyl.
-Almost 2x as durable as Vinyl.
-More color options available under custom tops link.

·
Registered
782 Posts
German sonnerland never even came up when I originally did my search for a new top. I must of not searched hard enough at the time.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
German sonnerland never even came up when I originally did my search for a new top. I must of not searched hard enough at the time.
I only noticed Sonnenland at autoberry.com. I have looked at Gahh but they do have a very high price. I am just trying to decide where in the quality vs value to set my budget. Looks like you did a nice job on your top install, well done! I have purchased the DVD and the job seems very doable. With good help and motivation I think I can get it done fairly quickly so I will try this fall. I want the flexibility and like the look.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You're right, the gahh top is very expensive. Having to ship it all the way to Canada, paying customs and taking the time to install it myself I wanted to be sure about the quality and another member had highly recommended their canvas model. One thing I did like about it is my old top sides were screwed on, the gahh one is the same method. If you watch the DVD some of them are glued on, a lot of members have had good experiences with the E-bay models except a while back a couple of them leaked, bad batch I believe (glue).
Do not buy tops from EZ-ON tops. They do not fit and leak water through the back.
I got a second custom made top from them that looks like a Robbins top design.

Ebay sells the crap out of them for cheap $430. Its not worth the hassle and labor.

Read some of my past post, pics included.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sonnenland:
Premium A5 German Sonnenland Canvas Convertible Top with Integrated Glass Window with Defroster
About Premium German Sonnenland Canvas/A5 German Sonnenland Canvas
-Original German made canvas used on Mercedes, Porsche and BMW.
-Longest lasting canvas top due to the abrasion resistance of the exterior canvas.
-Richest looking canvas
-Comes with a 5 year manufacturer warranty.

Sonnendeck
Sonnendeck (Twillfast) Canvas Convertible Top with Integrated Glass Window with Defroster.
About Sonnendeck (Twillfast) Canvas
-American made canvas, true double texture topping like the Haartz Stayfast Canvas.
-Richer looking and more durable than Haartz Stayfast Canvas.
-Heavier inner lining than Haartz Stayfast Canvas.

Stayfast
Haartz Stayfast Canvas Convertible Top with Integrated Glass Window with Defroster.
About Haartz Stayfast Canvas
-Has a canvas outer layer and a preshrunk cotton inner layer, the two are bonded with and separated by a butyl rubber core.
-This core makes it a premium choice over any vinyl topping.
-Richer looking than vinyl.
-Almost 2x as durable as Vinyl.
-More color options available under custom tops link.
++11111 on German Sonnenland I personally would stay away from Vinyl and Stayfast not worth the money. Now the German Sonnenland is a top you will not regret getting 100 time better quality than vinyl.Like the vinyl that you those wrinkles the Sonnenland won't leave any wrinkles as vinyl. Check the following thread.http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?51249-Sierra-auto-tops-(autotopsdirect)-vs-EZ-ON-top

I have told several members to check http://www.autoberry.com/details.php?products_id=88&categories_id=

The only place that you can find the REAL German Sonnenland. That is the same material use by Saab, Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes to name a few.

They do have a eBay store but if I recall don't sell the German Sonnenland but I might be wrong.Personally I wouldn't buy Vinyl after all the problems that I have face with the top.I rather invest something that will last just my Opinion.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
The only place that you can find the REAL German Sonnenland. That is the same material use by Saab, Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes to name a few.
convertibletopguys.com carries them. But....it's not really about who does the selling, it's about who creates the top and EXACTLY how it's made.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ordered this exact top earlier this week from this ebay seller. It's described as in-the-box from the manufacturer (E-Z On). Will duly report on what shows up...
Other suppliers provide an installation video - anyone have a link to a downloadable version?
I've booked a "professional installer" to do his thing for me next week, but I'm curious to check out the video. I've studied the step-by-step removal directions in the service manual, which presumably could be reversed, and I'm confident I could DIY it...by, say, September.
Anyone attempt their own installation of a Stayfast cloth top? Successfully?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts