MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a 2nd gen with blown swaped motor(3sge) shell overall look good, try to swap it back to oem 5sfe, anybody know do they used the same wiring? same axle? same xhaust and header? and what is it going to cost me? dont have any idea about 2nd gen, thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
You should join MR2OC.com. Bunch of good people there, and helpful too. I bought a MKI with a blown engine, learned a lot there. After a couple of years, I decided that a t-top just was NOT a convertible, and ended up with a Spyder.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
bought a 2nd gen with blown swaped motor(3sge) shell overall look good, try to swap it back to oem 5sfe, anybody know do they used the same wiring? same axle? same xhaust and header? and what is it going to cost me? dont have any idea about 2nd gen, thanks!!!!!
You might be better off swapping in another 3s-ge, they can be had for relatively cheap. If you want to do a 5s-fe swap really bad, just pickup a whole 5s-fe+wiring harness+body harness+ecu, most people get rid of the whole 5s-fe package for cheap when they swap to a turbo motor. If you want to back to the 5s-fe you use the same transmission/axles so thats not a problem. I'm not sure about the exhaust but I think that will line up as well if you go back to a 5s-fe. I doubt your current wiring will work and the ECU currently won't. Since you can get a 5s wiring/body harness for cheap I'd recommend that route.

Are you sure the 3s-ge is blown? I'm not really sure how someone would of blown one up... Pics will help alot to determine what gen 3s-ge you have.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had an mk2 with a gen2 3sge, any reason for swapping back to a 5s?? The gen2 and gen3 GE are identical internally to their GTE counterparts with the exception of the the pistons of course

But if you were to go back to a 5s the ONLY thing you need to do is repin the body harness plug (14 wires) back to the 5s plus, the 3s uses a 22pin

Everything from the mounts to the header, exhaust, axles, tranny, intake, even the clutch can be used from the 3sge to go onto the 5s but you will need a 5s flywheel because the bolt patterns are slightly different or just oblong the 3s fly bolt holes to fit on the 5s crank, this is nothing new, turbo guys do it all the time on their 5sgte builds, so literally to go back to a 5s you would only need the complete long block, electronics, harness and ecu, everything else can be used off the GE but depending on what gen the GE is it can be repaired internally for very cheap and most parts can be bought through any place that sells GTE parts

Hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to ask, I know those engines aren't discussed much and I know quite a bit about second gen GEs

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Strokr3SGE !!
good to know ge and fe share the same header, exhaust, axles, tranny, intake, and clutch!
i dont know what should i do since idk nothing about 2nd gen mr2, was worried about getting all the FE stuff will cost me alot of time and money and i shoulld just sell the chassic...
i bring a friend who own a garage, i light up the engine and its making kocking, tiking noise, really noisy.. and he do not recommand i rebuild one...idk...:(
you said it can be repaired internally for very cheap ..do you think most regular garage will repair it?

thx!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Levi!
i found a 5sfe at junk yard and they asking for $800..which i think is out of my budget...
and one thing is really wierd i found out the ecu in the car is for 5sfe, but im sure the engine is 3sge lol
this is carzy :eek: i will take a pic of the engine tomorrow, i dont know what gen is it either lol
but im pretty sure its blown, i bought the car at NYC , test drive it pulls really quick, but didnt expect one thing, its got no engine oil in there im so dumb!!!! the engine starts knocking and it just shut off on the way home to philly, the engine should be in good running condition if i check and put oil in it at the begining:( but good thing is it took a 2hrs trip and blown like 20mins away my house without any oil...otherwice ill spend another $200 for a tow truck B)

right now it still about to start and drive, but its got really loud noise from the motor and if i stop and the light without pumping the gas pedal it will shut off..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like a crank bearing and it is a gen2 3sge then all you would need to source is a gen2 3sgte crankshaft, get the bearing codes off of the 3sge block, the rods and off the new crankshaft, go down to Toyota and order all new bearings, slap it together, DONE!

Sounds so easy ^_^

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I thought that red top / grey top 3SGE BEAMS engines had "BEAMS" script embossed on the valve cover. Also, it just doesn't look like any of the BEAMS engines I've seen in person or in photos.

However, I take back part of my previous statement. The 5SFE was a 2.2L engine and that engine obviously is a 2.0L.. I missed that. Could be a 3SFE. Is the car automatic or manual?

·
Registered
232 Posts
If it says 2.0 is likely to be a 3SFE, where are you located?? Some cars in different countries came with 3SFE standard

Open the trunk, pull down the carpet that's on the firewall and on the left side there will be the ecu, it'll have a sticker on it saying what engine it is for, find this.. Report back

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought that red top / grey top 3SGE BEAMS engines had "BEAMS" script embossed on the valve cover. Also, it just doesn't look like any of the BEAMS engines I've seen in person or in photos.

However, I take back part of my previous statement. The 5SFE was a 2.2L engine and that engine obviously is a 2.0L.. I missed that. Could be a 3SFE. Is the car automatic or manual?
its stick shift

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it says 2.0 is likely to be a 3SFE, where are you located?? Some cars in different countries came with 3SFE standard

Open the trunk, pull down the carpet that's on the firewall and on the left side there will be the ecu, it'll have a sticker on it saying what engine it is for, find this.. Report back
ecu is 5sfe...this is carzy lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
ecu is 5sfe...this is carzy lol

I did realize you were in the states lol sorry about that

So here's the deal with your car, it had a 5s in it originally, it probably blew and instead of getting ripped off by the scrap yard for an "mr2 engine" they just stuck in a 3sfe and are running it off of the 5s electronics.. Nothing major as a lot of people would do this because the 3sfe engines can be found cheaper

How you want to fix it depends on you, you can either buy another 3sfe for pennies, buy a 5sfe complete long block of if you plan on keeping the car and not doing any sort of swap you could search for a '98 5sfe from a camry.. These engines are revised from the original design and take little work to install with your current electronics

It's really all up to you, the best way to go IMO would be to just call a junkyard and find a 91-95 5SFE from a camry or celica and stick that, they're really hard engines to kill so long as you take decent care of them

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.