MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on an 8hr (1-way) road trip soon. I need to carry a transmission on the way back, along with my (round-trip) passenger and a week's worth of luggage. I'm planning on throwing our bags behind the seats (hardtop + gutted soft top = lots of room), leaving the frunk bin at home, and strapping down the tranny in front where the bin belongs.

If the tranny will fit in the bin, then that would be preferred since I'm sure it's safer that way.

I have transported large cargo in the past, but I want this to go smooth since it's far from home.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Dqj9IVxJ5imYrGQst3AwKtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8MupFQyZJ09D2MpgQZBKitMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
The bin is plastic. I think the close to 100lbs weight of the transmission might break the bin. I also don't think it will even fit in the bin.

UPS or Fedex will ship the transmission ground if you can just put it in a box. Should be fairly inexpensive if only 8 hours.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
I think it will fit if,you take the spare out. Just put a strap around the frunk just in case.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
To bring my five speed home from Detroit after the 2ZZ and C60 swap I took out the passenger seat and they sat the transmission on the floor on that side. Easy fit. The transmission measures about 22x18x14. I would not try it in the bin.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bin is plastic. I think the close to 100lbs weight of the transmission might break the bin. I also don't think it will even fit in the bin.
I used haul 2x 5gal jugs of water in the frunk for my saltwater aquarium (83 lbs). It was enough to distort the plastic, but certainly wouldn't break it. I would be scared for the 4 little bolts that hold the bin, but the hook at the bottom holds a lot of weight. Still, 100 lbs with sharp corners does seem a little scary. Might try to support the weight with straps on my TRD strut bar.

UPS or Fedex will ship the transmission ground if you can just put it in a box. Should be fairly inexpensive if only 8 hours.
I'm hoping to save the cash and hassle to the seller/myself, not to mention the fact that I'll already be in town makes it seem wasteful to ship.

I think it will fit if,you take the spare out. Just put a strap around the frunk just in case.
That's my hope. It seems like a bad idea to go on a road trip without a spare, but worst case scenario my insurance company will tow me to the nearest tire shop for free. I have tire plugs and a portable air compressor.

I don't know if the C60 can fit in the frunk, but maybe the passenger can :lol:
She certainly could, but I don't think she'd be too happy about it. I'd rather set her in my lap in that case ;p

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To bring my five speed home from Detroit after the 2ZZ and C60 swap I took out the passenger seat and they sat the transmission on the floor on that side. Easy fit. The transmission measures about 22x18x14. I would not try it in the bin.
Thank you for the dimensions - I was going to try and figure them out. Was that inside of a box, or for the naked tranny? I don't think the GF wants this thing in her lap or as her replacement seat, so the frunk is probably my only option. The only question is whether to use the bin or strap it straight to the metal (with towels/etc for protection). Might do both - I'll slide the tranny into the bin, use straps to support tranny itself (up towards my TRD strut bar), use another set of straps supporting the entire bin upwards, and a final set holding the entire bin against the front frame.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You could always rent a car. But if your trying to save money I guess see if you can borrow a car with 4 doors. Although you probaly want to take the mr2 on the road trip of course.

On another note, I would love to see a picture with the trans in the frunk if you do it that way.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
Thank you for the dimensions - I was going to try and figure them out. Was that inside of a box, or for the naked tranny? I don't think the GF wants this thing in her lap or as her replacement seat, so the frunk is probably my only option. The only question is whether to use the bin or strap it straight to the metal (with towels/etc for protection). Might do both - I'll slide the tranny into the bin, use straps to support tranny itself (up towards my TRD strut bar), use another set of straps supporting the entire bin upwards, and a final set holding the entire bin against the front frame.
Sorry did not see this. That is a naked tranny. I put it in a 24x24x18 box to ship but there was pleanty of room around it. And those are rough measurements. I did not square it up. Just held a yard stick over it and eyeballed it. They are close though. With the spare out it may fit as Rooster said. I would just worry about the weight on the plastic and the delicate bits up front. Maybe brace with some plywood under the tranny to distribute the weight better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.