MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just developed a 9" long hairline crack in the windshield of my 2002 MR2 Spyder.

Been about 2-3 weeks since I last drove the car. Pulled the cover off of the car in the garage a couple of days ago and there it was. No visible signs of impact, so it appears to be a stress fracture that just developed on its own. Weird.

Hagerty is my insurer and they have already given me a quote for an aftermarket replacement. My auto installer says that quote should cover the cost.

However, I have a zero comprehensive deductible and Hagerty will will pay for an OEM replacement, if available. I'd prefer an OEM replacement in order to keep the car as close to orginal as possible.

My glass installer contacted our local Toyota dealer who says there apparently is only 1 OEM windshield for the car available in the entire country and that it may NOT be possible to get it; reason unknown but the matter is being investigated by my glass installer.

So, I was wondering if anyone has an OEM windshield that will fit my 2002 Spyder or knows of any auto dismantlers who specialize in Toyotas that may have one in stock.

Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
280 Posts
If you don't mind a used windshield you may be able to find one on car-part.com
They have some listed but it would depend on where you're located as to how far it would be from you and the cost of shipping if you couldn't pick up yourself. You could also try salvage parts yards in your area.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Is this a new problem we're going to have? I'm on my third windshield in 6 years and I've not had any problem getting them from my local auto glass guy.

Maybe I'll call them tomorrow and just order one to keep on my shelf....

·
Registered
821 Posts
On my first Spyder I had to replace the windshield. Didn’t have an issue finding one, cost was $250 - $275 for full installation but this was circa 2014

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
This guy wants a Toyota OE windshield not an aftermarket replacement. Honestly, buying a used window dramatically increase the chance they crack it trying to remove it. Not to mention a used windshield will be all pitted and sandblasted from driving that anytime people are driving towards you at night it will reflect on it. A windshield replacement here in canada is like $250 bucks, just make sure they use ppg or another reputable brand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the tips, guys! :)

My local shop can't line up an OEM windshield, so I'm just going w/aftermarket. It'll only cost me $320 installed and I'll have enough $ left over from Hagerty's payment for lunch w/my GF. LOL!

I'll keep an eye out for an OEM replacement that I can keep on hand if the aftermarket windshield breaks or if I sell the car (which is highly unlikely, since I've already owned the car for 16 years and have absolutely no plans/need to sell it.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
280 Posts
This guy wants a Toyota OE windshield not an aftermarket replacement. Honestly, buying a used window dramatically increase the chance they crack it trying to remove it. Not to mention a used windshield will be all pitted and sandblasted from driving that anytime people are driving towards you at night it will reflect on it. A windshield replacement here in canada is like $250 bucks, just make sure they use ppg or another reputable brand.
The OP asked if anyone knew of any "dismantlers" that would have a OEM windshield which is why I provided the information that I did. Dismantlers have used OEM parts which are graded based on condition. Simply being used doesn't necessarily mean they are in poor condition. Some will be in better condition than others but some dismantlers also have aftermarket parts as well which www.car-part.com has both but the aftermarket ones are noted in the description. On occasion they have had new parts for sale so it really depends on what you're looking for. I have seen great condition OEM used parts that look new and others that are of questionable condition. That's why the grading system is important. If they break it before they sell it to you then you aren't obligated to pay for it and if the shop breaks it while installing it then they'd be responsible for paying for it.

Some insurance companies require body shops to use LKQ (like, kind, quality) parts when repairing vehicles unless the insured pays the difference between used OEM and new OEM. I recently went through this with a different car's repair. The body shop accepted a part that was in less than desirable condition. I rejected it since it was a engine cooling part and made them take it off the car and replace with a new one knowing that I would pay the difference although insurance ended up paying for a new part instead. Had I not gone by to check on the status of the repair they would have finished the job with a poor condition part and covered it up with other parts so I couldn't see it. I was not happy at all and had to wait longer to get the car back but preferred to do that so the car would be right.

If it were me and I could find a new OEM windshield that would be the way I'd go. There are different perspectives about this so the car owner has to go with what they are comfortable doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had mine replaced 2 weeks ago with a oem windshield, in Canada!
Part came from USA Toyota warehouse, and hagerty paid for it and the oem dam kit.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I guess I misunderstood the initial request. Apparently my windshields have been aftermarket, but I did check and they're available so at least it's an option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had to replace 2 windshields out of my own pocket so I did my due diligence, looked at everything I could find and made a purchase based on that. The O.E. part is as everyone knows, a good part but costs the most money. I found 5 common aftermarket parts (there are probably others), 4 of which were made in China and after careful examination under several lighting conditions and viewing angles (which is how an engineer from PPG tells me is how it should be done), I found the lamination of the Chinese glass to be poor/unacceptable. The one Aftermarket glass I didn't have an issue with was the one from Safelite. It's good quality, easily available and will save you enough money to justify buying something other than the O.E. glass. For whatever my purchase decision may be worth, I bought it both times and won't hesitate to buy another when the time comes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts