MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of RX-8 seats locally pretty cheap. I had a 2004 and thought they held you in the seats pretty good. Anyone tried fitting these in a Spyder? I am going to ride over tomorrow after work and look at them. I might pop my passenger seat out tonight so I can set one in to see how it looks and to see if the height is correct.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I suppose you could have Wedge make some custom brackets but height could be an issue.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember the RX-8 seats being low like the Spyder seats. I can modify the sliders at work to fit. If these are in good shape and look right this may be a cheap fix for my worn drivers seat. I will update after I check them out.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Someone here installed commercial seat covers that looked surprisingly good. They were quite happy with the results, as I recall. I've searched for over an hour now, but can't find the posts...
Perhaps they will respond to this thread.

If you can live with seat covers, they may be less costly (time, money, trouble) than installing seats from another manufacturer. Most people change the Spyder's seats either for racing or for comfort, not for reupholstery. For comfort, Celica seats are the usual choice. Some of us have had our seats professionally recovered, but that ain't an inexpensive option.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried finding that same post but could not either. I remember seeing it shortly after I joined the forum.

I have also searched within 100 miles of where I live for Celica seats and can not locate any that are in good shape. I do not think I would like racing seats as the few I have sat in have one issue or another to me.

I so not want to spend the money they want around here to professionally recover my seats. I guess lack of competetion keeps the price high as the last set of buckets I got estimates on were almost a grand with some door inserts to match!

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
yeah i ck'd into the recovering. custom done here is $800 not including door cards.

i am very interested in your project.

can't wait to see .

give me a call if you want too

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked out the seats this afternoon. They were in excellent shape except for the deployed side airbag on the drivers seat. Checking on a replacement cover from Mazda, that may be the deal breaker as I think I can steal the seats. More to follow....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got off the phone with local dealer and the airbag has the cover on it...:(. Did not even ask the price of the airbag.

...and the seats are exactly the same dimensions as the Spyder seats.

Never that easy, back to the drawing board.

Duska, thanks for offer, may take you up on it.

I will check around locally again to see what I can get mine covered for. There were a coupled of shabby looking shops I did not even go into....sometimes they do the best work and are cheap, never know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I fitted EVO seats in mine. Fits perfect with my home made brackets. The only down side is that I hate cranking the seat down to get to the storage bin.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I tried finding that same post but could not either. I remember seeing it shortly after I joined the forum.

I have also searched within 100 miles of where I live for Celica seats and can not locate any that are in good shape. I do not think I would like racing seats as the few I have sat in have one issue or another to me.
Try car-part.com for Celica seats. A quick check showed a pair of black cloth Celica seats in Oklahoma City for $100 each and another pair with seat frame damage for $50 each. Watch eBay as well as they pop up occasionally for a decent price.

I have Celica seats in my Spyder, and while there are more comfortable "sport" seats, they are noticeably better than my stock 2002 Spyder seats and an easy install. Just use the Spyder seat frames and swap the seat backs and bottom seat cushions. No special tools or fabrication required. Even the plastic trim is the same.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
I fitted EVO seats in mine. Fits perfect with my home made brackets. The only down side is that I hate cranking the seat down to get to the storage bin.
EVO 8 seats here, too. Wedge Engineering made the brackets for me. They are great seats.

--

Nice to know that RX8 seats would also fit. Even if you don't go that route, you helped someone, I'm sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts