MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mr2 Spyder
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried either of those tires, and did you like them? I wanted to try the BFG Sport Comp-2 but they’re on back order and I need tires now. Are there any other tires you would recommend? I want my front tires to be 195/50/15 or 195/45/15, may considers 185’s too

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've been driving on Advan Fleva tires for about a year. Previously on S Drives, and before that BFG SC2.

I am normally a BFG/Michelin guy but I have to tell you these Yokohamas are every bit the quality product that BFG's are.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've had a set of PS31s. The rear 205s were done in about 12k of spirited driving. Front 185s will probably last forever. I was happy with the traction for fun DD use. I've since moved on to federal 595s since I only drive the toy in fair weather now. Would not recommend 595s if there is any chance of standing water, or freezing temps.

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
I have tried Dunlop 102 and Kumho PS31 tires. I liked the PS31 over the 102, not a good wet tire IMHO, but my preferred tire currently is the Dunlop ZII. I will probably get new rear Dunlop ZIII before next spring. If the Yoko 701 is any thing like the S.Drive it is a good tire which I would consider.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My car has the 195/50 Fleva on the front and 205/4516 Indy 500 on the rear. My wife’s car has the 195/50 bfg comp2 on the front and the 205/45/16 Indy 500 on the rear. I like the bfg tires better for the steering feel.
The fleva’s sidewall is thin with one ply where the bfg is two ply.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Yokohama Advan Fleva currently seems to be the only tire available in the US that fits the 15"/16" staggered setup of the post-facelift Spyders (other than random SUV tires or 200 TW track tires). I got mine this week and compared to the Yokohama S-Drives (2 years old, 18,000 miles, tread down to 2.5 mm in most places and 0 mm on the shoulder of the front tires), the Advan Flevas (195/50/15 & 205/50/16) are:
  • less noisy (feels like driving on whisper asphalt all the time)
  • at least as grippy in the dry, maybe slightly more
  • more cushy (less rattle when driving over fixed potholes)
  • less prone to follow longitudinal grooves in the road
  • less likely to upset the car when cornering on a bumpy road
  • less direct in terms of steering response (some of it can be alleviated with higher pressure, some of it might be due to ~ 5 mm more rubber all around the tire)
The last point made me a little sad, but overall, I'm happy. The car feels a little more grown up now. After all, the only alternative is changing the wheels. Ironically, the Yokohamas are imported from Japan, so it's safe to say there is no decent US-made tire left that fits the staggered Spyder.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
We have run S-Drives almost since they came out, and found they liked a bit more pressure in the front than other tires. The fact the tread was worn to 0 on the front shoulder suggested the pressures were a bit low. It sounds like the Fleva are the same. We ended at 29 psi with stock springs and 28 psi with H&R lowering springs. The biggest difference is we are running 16" all around, so we have 195/45-16 front and 205/45-16 rear which both have a reinforced sidewall. Steering response was sharp, and tire wear was very even.

We have ordered a set of Fleva to replace the worn out S-Drives and should have them in a week or so and will report the results.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep, I ran 28 psi for most of the tire life and upped it up to 30 for the last couple thousand miles. Certainly improves steering response.
Which sizes come with the reinforced side walls?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone tried either of those tires, and did you like them? I wanted to try the BFG Sport Comp-2 but they’re on back order and I need tires now. Are there any other tires you would recommend? I want my front tires to be 195/50/15 or 195/45/15, may considers 185’s too
I tried Kumho Ecsta PS31 in 205/50/15 & they are not good tires if you're looking to have enjoy the car. My biggest complaint is the lack of feedback through steering & bumps. They also do not grip, almost feels like an all season tire. Bad in wet. They do last for a while though, I'll give them that.

BFG SC2 are a million times better in all scenarios. If you can, I would settle for used ones, they're a good daily tire.

If you don't live in an area with rain then I suggest running on 200tw tires. Our cars are not heavy enough to wear out 200tw tires fast & assuming you have good alignment. Federal RS-R have been amazing & currently on Nankang NS-2R. Both good tires.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Yep, I ran 28 psi for most of the tire life and upped it up to 30 for the last couple thousand miles. Certainly improves steering response.
Which sizes come with the reinforced side walls?
If you check at Tire Rack, the tires listed as XL are reinforced sidewalls.

When we first put on the S-Drives, the slightly slower intial steering response compared to a different tire was noticeable. But when they loaded and took a set, they were very precise, had very nice feedback, and we learned to trust them. They proved to be a very predictable tire, unlike at least 2 others that had very sharp steering response, but had less feedback when loaded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting. The Advan Flevas that I got (195/50/15 and 205/50/16) are listed as SL. If I wanted XL, I would have to pick 185/55/15 and 205/45/16.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have Advan Fleva. It does a really really good job. It's definitively higher tire quality than my previous Kumho KU31 , KU38 , Nankang NS-2 Ultra Sport , Vredestein Sportrac 5 (drove 81400 miles in 4 years 10 months with those tires).
IMG_7292.JPG

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
We have run S-Drives almost since they came out, and found they liked a bit more pressure in the front than other tires. The fact the tread was worn to 0 on the front shoulder suggested the pressures were a bit low. It sounds like the Fleva are the same. We ended at 29 psi with stock springs and 28 psi with H&R lowering springs. The biggest difference is we are running 16" all around, so we have 195/45-16 front and 205/45-16 rear which both have a reinforced sidewall. Steering response was sharp, and tire wear was very even.

We have ordered a set of Fleva to replace the worn out S-Drives and should have them in a week or so and will report the results.
Finally got the Fleva 701's in 195/45-16 and 205/45-16. We only took them for a short drive, but compared to the old S-Drives, they feel very much the same. They have the same tread pattern, but a slightly more rounded thread profile and seem a bit less sensitive to road camber. Turn in is as least as sharp, maybe slightly better. But the S-Drive's were old and considerably worn, so that might not be a fair comparison.

If you liked S-Drives you should be equally happy with the Fleva 701.

·
Registered
11,312 Posts
I recently installed 701s as my Re11s were too old to trust. Overall they are a solid tire and since they come in a 185/55/15 flavor I decided to get back to OEM sizes up front. Glad Yoko is still making suitable tires was very disappointed that Bridgestone gave up on making any performance tires for 15" wheels. Unless you are track racing or autocrossing I cannot see where these would disappoint.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I finally had to get rid of my Re-11s too. They were the best tires but maybe not the greatest in the rain, at least not worn down close to the bars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts