MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
re: excellent pics...

Thanks, man-the pictures were very, very helpful to me. That does look like a good compromise setup...lose a little bit of space, but get SOME bass to balance out overall sound. I like the look of it, and I like the overall price level. Thanks for posting your results!:cool:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I still have one of these on my list of things to eventually buy. The stock radio in my car now just doesn't cut it. I know it is a convertible but it just seems so incredibly weak even while sitting at a light.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Installing it...

Okay-anyone have any advice on pulling apart the dash/center console to do the wiring from the head unit to the powered sub? I'm putting it behind the driver's seat, tucked up against the back wall area just under the storage bins.

Never pulled apart the dash/center console on a MkIII, don't want to muck anything up while I do it. Anyone have a diagram handy? Or even descriptions of common screw points/clips/special tools needed for it?

Also, if I want to run the main power lead from the battery, what's the easiest way to get it in through the firewall? Are there any stock holes I can feed it through, and if so, where?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.:cool:

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,257 Posts
Nice install. I was looking at the Infinity Basslink myself. I want to keep my storage bins as well so these setups are looking more and more interesting.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
just looked into the sound ordnance. and i just purchased one from crutchfield. should be arriving sometime by the end of this week. ill keep this thread updated once i get it installed.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
just looked into the sound ordnance. and i just purchased one from crutchfield. should be arriving sometime by the end of this week. ill keep this thread updated once i get it installed.
may be a little late now but I turned my $565 crutchfield cart into a $257 amazon cart. bought the same products, saved alot more money. I love crutchfield and still recommend them, but that price difference couldn't be argued.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
may be a little late now but I turned my $565 crutchfield cart into a $257 amazon cart. bought the same products, saved alot more money. I love crutchfield and still recommend them, but that price difference couldn't be argued.
I only spent 199 for the slim subwoofer, and it comes with wiring kit + i have 3 yr warranty :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Let me know how you like it. I am still on the fence about adding one. The radio is nice now but seriously missing the extra bass. It sounds good enough while sitting at a light and driving through town but on the highway it just isn't enough.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Let me know how you like it. I am still on the fence about adding one. The radio is nice now but seriously missing the extra bass. It sounds good enough while sitting at a light and driving through town but on the highway it just isn't enough.
Thats exactly how i feel too. The bass is just not enough coming from my infinity components

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
well here are pics of the sub and my install. overall GREAT product. filled in my bass needs perfectly. i only have the controller at about 2/3 of the way till its all the way up.

Heres how the sub came.

How i ran the power wire.

How it looks installed.

Where i put the bass controller

The speakers i have installed also.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
pelinors714,

Funny....our systems are nearly identical, as I am using the exact same speakers in my doors also, but powered by an Orion Amp. Overall, I think the little sub makes a huge difference, especially located directly behind the driver's seat. It is much weaker sounding while sitting on the passenger side, but still adds a lot of low end that the door speakers seem nearly incapable of producing.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
pelinors714,

Funny....our systems are nearly identical, as I am using the exact same speakers in my doors also, but powered by an Orion Amp. Overall, I think the little sub makes a huge difference, especially located directly behind the driver's seat. It is much weaker sounding while sitting on the passenger side, but still adds a lot of low end that the door speakers seem nearly incapable of producing.
I agree 110%. i installed the speakers first without a amp to power them and only getting power through my sony headunit... and it was definitely lacking low end bass. now that i installed the crutchfield subwoofer, my sound system is perfect to my tastes now :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
How do you guys attach the subwoofer? Does it just sit there retained by the seat? Also, do you think a 10" slim subwoofer like the Pyle PLBASS10 would still fit? From the pictures, it appears a slightly wider and taller sub would fit.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
How do you guys attach the subwoofer? Does it just sit there retained by the seat? Also, do you think a 10" slim subwoofer like the Pyle PLBASS10 would still fit? From the pictures, it appears a slightly wider and taller sub would fit.
its attached by velcro that sticks to the carpet

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
A slightly wider and taller sub MAY fit, but I do know that going taller will reduce the amount of seat back recline you can have. You really need to test fit a similarly shaped object in its place before purchasing to see if you can deal with the reduced seat travel.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.