MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at replacing my current AR1's with A052's for my 2ZZ track car. The Nankang's are great in dry conditions, but poor in damp and shocking in the wet. And as its cold and wet most of the time here in the north of the UK I need a better all-rounder.

From all the reviews the A052 fits the bill. Only issue i can see is wear rate.

Looking at 205 50 15 front and 225 50 15 rear. Slightly taller rear compared to the 225 45 15 AR1's but this will be welcome as I need slightly taller gearing for the tracks I attend.

Can anyone share their experiences with this tyre, more so wear rates and damp/wet handing?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have these 205/15/50 square on a street/weekend car.

I really haven't driven then in wet yet, but in cold weather they slide until they are properly warmed up. When they are warm they stick to everything. I've never had a tire in this category and price that grips this well. But there is a huge range of bad grip to good grip comepared to past tires in the same category/size. They are softer and wider, which led me to raising my height in the front to avoid scarping. They wear on the outer edges of the front, even with a lot of camber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Due to the excessive wear rates and high cost of purchase of the A052's Ive gone in a different direction.

For the dry Ive bought Yokohama A048 190/600/15 soft for the front and 220/610/15 medium for the rears. Then I've purchased a set of MRF full wet slicks for damp and wet days.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I use them on the track in 205/225. Very very grippy. OK in the wet. They wear before your eyes.
I was looking at these too and all the reviews said the same but thats funny!! It seems like they're basically a time attack, first few laps and lay down the best time type of tire.

Scotched - I'm amazed you're using it for the streets. Please update us or start a thread with how many miles your able to get out of them.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Scotched - I'm amazed you're using it for the streets. Please update us or start a thread with how many miles your able to get out of them.
I too am curious about how long these will last. The difference between these and Dunlop ZIII is noticeable. 205/50/15 looks better on 15x8 wheels because these tires a bit wider and it fills out the sidewall. I like that too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts