MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be performing the actual 2zz swap in the next few weeks, so I am wondering if there is any "do it while its out" type stuff that I should consider.

I dont want to spend unnessicary money so aftermarket parts like clutch flywheel are not in the running here. Also, I am assuming because of the relitavly low miles on both engines, there very well may not be anything that needs to be done.

Original 1zz - 58,000 miles
Lotus 2zz - 17,000 miles

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I'm no mechanic but my new one is getting a new water pump and thermostat, I got an upgraded oil pump and pan, and i had a newer alternator already but I would have replaced it. 17k is super low miles but if its an older engine you might want to swap some simple stuff if you've got the extra coin.

-Spargo

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I did my swap I changed several items:
Oil Pump
Lift bolts
timing chain
thermostat
water pump
Engine mounts
flywheel and clutch
Only reason I replaced all these parts is because I'm lazy and didnt want to replace these parts any time soon. I would at suggest at least replacing the lift bolts and oil pump.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not racing, nor is it a daily driver. Fun weekend car that sleeps for 7 moths of the year.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I would change the 1zz. :p Lift bolts and that's it. A light flywheel if you can find one. Doesn't need a clutch if the original has 17k on it. Even a used one is a good ides. It's a pita after the fact....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Clarification.

2002 MR2 1zz being replaced by a 2005 Lotus 2zz

Please clarify this response based on the read. What I'm saying is that there was a "recall" and your 2005 engine is questionable - yes?

VVTi

I'm trying to piece this together but it's scattered through various threads.......... There was a recall on the engine your installing.

look at this: http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=323863

I see a correlation with your year of engine. Cheap fix prior to problems. Please someone tell me I'm wrong. I would actually appreciate such a response.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please clarify this response based on the read. What I'm saying is that there was a "recall" and your 2005 engine is questionable - yes?

VVTi

I'm trying to piece this together but it's scattered through various threads.......... There was a recall on the engine your installing.

look at this: http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=323863

I see a correlation with your year of engine. Cheap fix prior to problems. Please someone tell me I'm wrong. I would actually appreciate such a response.
Your original link http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-115462.html
only refers to the 1zz engine. I am replacing my 1zz with a 2zz because I want to, not because there is something wrong with my 1zz.

The second link does not say anything about a recall but does mention that something bad has happened to a small handful of vvti gears causing some sort of failure resulting in a lot of damage. I seems this same gear is used in 1zz's, 3zz's and even 4zz's so I am not sure there is anything to be intitally concerned with. The consensus from the "expert" (boosted 2.0) is that this was an oil pressure failure causing this gear to fail, but that is all up for debate.

Anywho, thanks for keeping an ear to the ground on all of this but I am not sure there is really anything to go on. Also, many of the folks who had failures had a lot of work done to their engines. Mine is bone stock (and staying that way) so I doubt *knock knock* I will have any problems like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would change the way you look ahead ... things will be coming up a lot quicker! :peace:

It may be a good idea to change to better brake pads aswell. You'll be finding yourself braking at higher speeds (comes with an engine that just wants you to be naughty!) and will notice that your brakes are being pushed to the limit.

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
I would change the way you look ahead ... things will be coming up a lot quicker! :peace:

It may be a good idea to change to better brake pads aswell. You'll be finding yourself braking at higher speeds (comes with an engine that just wants you to be naughty!) and will notice that your brakes are being pushed to the limit.
Your are new so I will let it slide however you do realize that a 2zz will not put a dent into our braking systems.
Our brakes are so robust that it's very hard to push them to the limit and if you are driving on the street you will never exceed the braking capabilities.
We have cars that have double the power of a 2zz and braking was never a concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your are new so I will let it slide however you do realize that a 2zz will not put a dent into our braking systems.
Our brakes are so robust that it's very hard to push them to the limit and if you are driving on the street you will never exceed the braking capabilities.
We have cars that have double the power of a 2zz and braking was never a concern.
That's cool. Just going by my own experiences since my 2zz conversion. The company that did my conversion also suggested upgrading the pads if I was planning on doing track days.

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
That's cool. Just going by my own experiences since my 2zz conversion. The company that did my conversion also suggested upgrading the pads if I was planning on doing track days.
I would upgrade the pads when you experience brake fade. If there is no fade then all is well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would upgrade the pads when you experience brake fade. If there is no fade then all is well.
I have since my 2zz conversion. Maybe coincidence. I believe it's because I've become addicted to lift and I'm finding I'm having to brake harder because of driving faster/harder.

I maybe new here but I'm not new to my MR2. I've had it since 2001.

I have no interest in arguing with you anymore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts