MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a Apexi Rev Speed Meter, but i am not very handy with electronics at all, and there is not (as far as i know) plug and play-harnessess available. So the question is, is it hard to install? Does anyone have any tips, or even better, some installation guide? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
... Might I ask why you want to install one? I'm assuming you still have a stock gauge cluster with a tachometer and speedometer. All you'd need is a $5 stop watch and you'd be set. :huh:

But here is a Lexus IS guide which will be similar to ours. Obviously the ECU Pins referenced on page 5 and the general location of the components will be different.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Audikraut (i guess). I would like to install it in order to see how my modifications to the car will affect to it. As you know, it measures the G-forces and the horsepower quite accurately.

Yes, the Apexi's PDF-manual has the pinouts for JDM MR2 Spyder, at least, and i think it is same for US and euro-versions as well (because Power FC will fit in all of the models).

However, i just asked if someone has installed the RSM before, and does have some tips to install it to ZZW30 without any sarcastic lines, i would be more than happy to hear some helpful hints.
I am not good in english and not good in electrics. ^_^

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
:removes "sarcastic lines":

IMHO it's a waste of money and funds which can be spent better else where. If you really want accurate horse power numbers use a dyno. Calculating your horse power based upon an accelerometer has significant error.

To figure out the g-forces themselves, you can do it for cheaper with more accurate instrumentation.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, naturally Dyno is more accurate, but i can't afford to do it every day, week or maybe month and Apexi is quite accurate according a Finlands largest automobile magazine.
They do use use Peiseler wheel, which is a standard in automotive industry/magazines
(http://www.peiseler-gmbh.de/site2_e.html)

Here is a test; don't bother about the text, just look at the diagrams (it's a difference in between the devices/Peiseler thingy): http://www.tekniikanmaailma.fi/s/f/editor/TM_2009_12_128.pdf

In the end, Apexi's RSM gives quite accurate acceleration, HP and G-force readings, and it's is easy to calibrate.

So, does anyone have any hints to install that thing?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Search for 2zz swap ecu pin spreadsheet somewhere on this site. That should give you the correct pin outs. As far as tips go, take your time. No one really spends money on this stuff because it's really not worth it. You can get a used G-tech Pro for cheap.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip, Qmtran.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I know I don't know much on this but at best with a I/H/E setup your gains are less then 50bhp and with a Tune may go past that guesstimate. If your doing such mods as a Turbo then its understandable but AK has said their are better options for your goals so don't be so closed minded on this subject. Saving money and spending money on mods has to be a thought out plan, not just purchase as you go.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Aren't there way too many variable to be accurate? I don't see how it can accurate for questions of tractions, humidity, temp, drivers weight, wind resistance or even the blind assumption that the road is in fact perfectly flat.

That is why a dyno can be more accurate. If you are continuing to modify your car why not wait and just find out later on as you tune on the dyno?

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
I know I don't know much on this but at best with a I/H/E setup your gains are less then 50bhp and with a Tune may go past that guesstimate.
I'm gonna go with what one of my friends would say to a statement like that, " you must be smoking krills!" :lol:

Everyone get of the OP's back, its a nice tool, even if its not super perfectly white lab coat accurate. It gonna be waaaaaaaay better than this 50bhp guesstimate! hahaha still rolling on this one.

A tool to tell the difference? Sounds good to me. Shit it could say I have 25hp stock as long as its consistant and consistantly measures a DIFFERENCE, I know its working and that was the improvement (hopefully) or unprovement (is this a word?).

Rock on brother and uh... yea just wire that bitch up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts